IGNORED

NJ Bear Hunt to be Reinstated

BHC

1 hour ago, Deerslayer21 said:

something is fishy here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Im sure there will be some stupid restrictions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prohibitions on the taking of cubs under 75 pounds, the taking of adults traveling in family packs with cubs below 75 pounds, and restrictions on the practice of baiting.

20 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I need somebody to get me up there ;) During 6-day - I assume we'll be able to use slug guns.

However... I remember when we did have the hunt, people complained that they weren't seeing any bears during that late season because the bears were already starting to hunker down for hibernation. Not sure if that will be the case this year, too.

They do not truly hibernate. I've killed them in December in rain sleet or snow.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

9 minutes ago, NJ8pointer said:

Oh yeah screw us.............then when you need culling call us...........not too sure about this

I think its awesome! I love it when we get a "told ya so" moment with our liberal politicians.

They want to demonize us, fine - we know they will eventually come to appreciate what we do, as what happened here. I think it's a great learning experience for our politicians - hunting is not what the rabid animal rights loonies claim it to be. It is a perfectly fine and time-honored way of conservation and a valid wildlife management tool.

Thank goodness he will open it up to public land hunters and didn't do one of those stupid "Let's call White Buffalo, they can fix things" fiascos where it would cost the state enormous amounts of money rather than make them money!

1 minute ago, djhunt said:

Either Murphy is indeed following the science and making a decision we all know is the rational right choice…

or…

people killing bears may be unpopular, but bears killing people is even more unpopular!

probably a bit of both?

It's the latter - he's got his eye on a presidential run in the coming decade. Having people killed by a bear on his watch due to him and him alone stopping the bear hunt would make for excellent opposition ads which I'm sure he wants to avoid.

55 minutes ago, huntyctyboy said:

left the Gov. Murphy a message letting him know it's appreciated and that allowing NJ fish and game to use the bear hunt as a method of controlling populations. lets see what happens

I’m going to do the same

There is numerous reasons why he did it. Its obviously a combination of all of your theories which i agree with. He definitely is going to make a run for President. He also wants to 'look fair' and the argument can be made " he doesnt listen to his own F&W people - why would he listen to the EPA etc etc.  

Lets just be happy he made the right decision. Just sucks the whole thing is overlapping during 6-day. Was it always this? i felt like it didnt overlap. It mostly affects my one spot with my group up in sussex...........maybe ill hunt a bear this year!

5 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

Just sucks the whole thing is overlapping during 6-day. Was it always this? i felt like it didnt overlap. It mostly affects my one spot with my group up in sussex...........maybe ill hunt a bear this year!

It overlapped forever until only.

When we were allowed to hunt em,there was a fall bow season, thanks in part to ubnj,because there were too many bear then.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt