IGNORED

Fall turkey..newbie

jerseyboy32

I am NO expert in fall turkey hunting. But the way people normally fall turkey hunt is one I could never do .. "find the flock, rush the flock to scatter them in all directions, sit there and kee-kee call to bring them back.".... the reason I could never do it is I would never be able to find a flock to scatter! :) But if you have intel on where a group of birds tend to be, then use that method.

I've been successful fall turkey hunting doing the normal sit-and-call. I would make subtle hen calls (don't gobble, the birds for the most part aren't gobbling in the fall). But if you cluck, it was always my impression that the birds will get curious and come. I mean, the birds are still vocal in the fall. They will talk to each other. I hear birds in the fall when I'm hunting other things - so I know they still talk to each other.

Also, if its raining, hunt the edge of a field - put out some decoys in the field and sit in a blind. I suspect birds are weary year round and when it gets noisy in the woods when it rains, they will go to fields, no matter what time of year it is. I can vividly remember one of my fall turkey harvests was done in just that way.

I haven't hunted fall turkey in a few years. Once I got into waterfowling and more serious about deer hunting, fall turkey fell off my radar. Good luck, though, and post your story and pix if you get one!