IGNORED

Savage 220?

Bone collector 85

How often do you shoot out to 100 plus yards? What is the average distance you shoot your deer? I chased 150 yds accuracy for years. And for what? When I looked at all the deer I shot, never shot one further than 70 yds. Are you going to go through the time and expense to maybe shoot a 1" tighter group? I owned two H &R, 12 and 20. Sold them both. I have been using my 1187 rifled  slug gun for about 15 years now. It may not be as accurate to 100 yds but it's a sniper gun to 60. Figure out your needs. Nice to haves are just that. 

Finally there is no magic to a 20 gauge other than a little less recoil. The difference is hardly noticeable when you are shooting at game. :up:

Edited by archer36

1 hour ago, Pathman said:

They all have cycling issues. You’re not buying a Tarhunt (which actually is no better accuracy wise, but costs 1/4 of the price) so keep the cycling and fit&finish issues in perspective.
If you shoot it enough you will inevitably have a jam on cycling. 
As Bush said, you can polish the action by repeatedly working the action with a bit of compound along the rails.
It will likely jam when you try to cycle a round too fast, this is a perfect example of  “slow is smooth, and smooth is fast”  situation. 
As far as 2-3/4” vs. 3”, in my experience the 3” isn’t worth the extra recoil/expense/availability issue. The 1/4” extra accuracy you may get (assuming you don’t get recoil shy and start flinching as a result if it) is insignificant. 

100% agree on the 2 3/4 vs. 3".  The difference is miniscule out to 100 yds.  I know this but still try to get 3" if available just in case that giant steps out at 175 yds.  And even then, it probably won't make much difference.

I'm thinking the 2 3/4 rounds also cycle better in the 220 action but haven't shot enough to say for sure.  

1 minute ago, rgw said:

I like my 220 but have cycling issues, to be it seems the spring in mag is too strong but not positive 

It’s really just the big bulky (relatively speaking) size of the shotgun shells trying to come out of the mag, up a ramp and into a chamber that’s all very sloppy. 
the tolerances have to be bigger with all the bulk and shape of the shells. 
If I remember from the initial testing of slugs when we got the 220s 9-10 years ago, the 3” may have actually chambered better, the additional length eliminates some of the slop that’s inherent when using the 2-3/4” shells. 
The 3” guys should be able to provide more input assuming they shoot more then a few shells a season. 

5 minutes ago, Pathman said:

It’s really just the big bulky (relatively speaking) size of the shotgun shells trying to come out of the mag, up a ramp and into a chamber that’s all very sloppy. 
the tolerances have to be bigger with all the bulk and shape of the shells. 
If I remember from the initial testing of slugs when we got the 220s 9-10 years ago, the 3” may have actually chambered better, the additional length eliminates some of the slop that’s inherent when using the 2-3/4” shells. 
The 3” guys should be able to provide more input assuming they shoot more then a few shells a season. 

Interesting  and all I have shot is 2 3/4

Edited by rgw

16 hours ago, Bone collector 85 said:

Ok ill start by saying i already have a hr 12 and hr 20 and a bps in 12g with slug barrel but i keep hearing everyone talk about the savage my question is it worth buying 

If you like the feel of the guns you have then no, you wil hate it because it feels like a toy comparatively speaking ( at least it was for me) and I didnt notice any improved accuracy over my H&Rs....One shot is all you need

30 minutes ago, bowguide said:

If you like the feel of the guns you have then no, you wil hate it because it feels like a toy comparatively speaking ( at least it was for me) and I didnt notice any improved accuracy over my H&Rs....One shot is all you need

I agree, feels cheap right? I added a good size chunk of steel in the buttstock to give it some weight, feels much nicer. Also wrapped the grip with that camo  gauze tape and added a  Beartooth riser kit, feels like a totally different gun then the stock version. 
As far as accuracy, we’d have to part ways there, I had an H&R as well, easy decision to switch to the 220, and the “all you need is one shot” is all well and good….until you don’t!😉

6 hours ago, archer36 said:

How often do you shoot out to 100 plus yards? What is the average distance you shoot your deer? I chased 150 yds accuracy for years. And for what? When I looked at all the deer I shot, never shot one further than 70 yds. Are you going to go through the time and expense to maybe shoot a 1" tighter group? I owned two H &R, 12 and 20. Sold them both. I have been using my 1187 rifled  slug gun for about 15 years now. It may not be as accurate to 100 yds but it's a sniper gun to 60. Figure out your needs. Nice to haves are just that. 

Finally there is no magic to a 20 gauge other than a little less recoil. The difference is hardly noticeable when you are shooting at game. :up:

I shot my largest buck, almost 200 inches at 157 yards, probably the only deer ever I've shot over 100 yards with a slug but I'm sure happy as hell I had a gun with the accuracy to make a kill shot at that distance. 

The areas I hunt out west you can shoot a long ways, having a long distance shooter could mean the deer of a lifetime or going home with a tag in your pocket. 

www.liftxrentals.com

My 220 is a tack driver...though I seldom use. I hated the stock on the 1st version (plastic) and as a result bought a MacMillan custom stock (no longer made for 220) & Replaced the Accutrigger w a timney. Gun is far nicer to shoot than any stock 220. The MacMillan stock added weight & the timney trigger is far nicer than the Accutrigger.