IGNORED

NJ Carry Laws

OldMenRule

4 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

I have been reading a few articles and it would seem that NJ have every intention of making legal carry in NJ impossible if not illegal. Not unexpected given the states history of firearms laws but draconian even by this states standards. I would imagine if passed it would be challenged legally.  

Most of it will be knocked down.  I hasn't passed yet but probly will the issue is it can't be challenged until it's made law same happened in New York.  Good thing is ny is already being challenged so there's a head start there

SCOTUS will quickly take up these new unconstitutional laws once passed. Thomas in his majority opinion stated as much. He flat out warned the six states to NOT play games, yet that is exactly what NY and now NJ have done. The end result will be very positive for the 2A, but it will take into next year to flesh out. 

Unfortunately we'll most likely have to go thru the pain of having these passed into law so they can be challenged 🤮

While there's no reasonable way these pass the "text, history, and traditions" test set forth in Bruen, the anti-gun folks and their paid for politicians will inanely argue some obscure reason that they pass the test. IMO it's fraud, waste, and abuse of tax payer funds and does nothing to reduce gun crimes since in the most simplest of terms criminals don't care about the laws.

Tell me how does getting 4-5 references and paying exorbitant permit fees deter a criminal from using a gun? 

Does the criminal say "Oh...that is a restaurant that has a liquor license, so I better not bring my gun in there..."???

Also I think some of these fee increases are going to backfire on the politicians and cause them to lose voters, especially among working class and low-income voters because now you'll be pricing them out of exercising a constitutional right, which is just plain old discrimination. It's already starting to happen in NY and CA where minority voters that would normally vote for liberal politicians are saying "crime is out of control and you're de-funding police so I can get a cop when I need one, but you're also saying I shouldn't be able to protect myself with a gun...wtf I'm not voting for you anymore". Not sure how many realize this, but quite a few of the large associations representing minorities filed amicus briefs in support of NYS Rifle & Pistol in the Bruen case. It'll be interesting to see if the NJ Senate holds their vote until after the elections. Wouldn't be surprised if they wait to see what the impact of the Assembly's vote on Oct 27th will be on the election, because honestly most of them don't really give a damn about gun control, they just want to make sure they keep their seat in future elections.

I'm hoping that once these are passed the courts will quickly block them as unconstitutional like they did in NY, and maybe we'll get lucky that any restraining orders issued against the laws will not be stayed, although I suspect as @Bucksnbows said we'll probably be looking at these appeals and rulings going into next year.

3 minutes ago, GoldRushGang said:

Issues do not have to go back to the SC.

SC ruling are binding in State courts.  If for any reason State courts get it wrong lower federal courts will rule.

The problem is lower federal courts are ruling things unconstitutional now, but the states are being defiant and appealing those rulings just to drag out the process and try to appease the anti-gun crowd. In the meanwhile we either get left in limbo or have to suffer under draconian gun laws while the process plays out.

IMO the states doing these shenanigans should get hit with sanctions and have to pay the litigants attorneys fees for passing laws that are clearly unconstitutional. Additionally any temporary restraining orders or injunctions against these laws should not get stayed while the process plays out.

These politicians know they don't have a leg to stand on. They are only trying to appease their liberal voters. I highly doubt these laws will even be enforced if enacted for the short time they are on the books. If someone were to be arrested they would be sitting on a nice lawsuit.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk