IGNORED

Ultra light Togging and ULTRA Light Bluefin tuna and Bass

Buck154

Decided to work half day and then go fishing. Took 

my uncle and OMC. We started just south of the inlet getting a couple bunkers. Had a whale feeding on them too. Well had something go through the bicker with a big swirl and 20 seconds later Mike get a smack on his bunker and saids he has one talking it. So locks it up so the circle hook gets the bass in the corner of the jaw. Well in seconds later it runs out the bow of the boat heading East. Mikes yelling “ Whoa whoa whoa”  “start the boat FAST ” .  In 30 seconds it took 300 yards of line and that was with me starting the boat and started following :shock:. We knew he was a little under matched with 20 lb braid on a 300 size bait aster LOL. Luckily he got it to pop at the leader when he had 4 wraps left on the reel. Has been Giant Bluefin Tuna around and that’s what he had. 
   After that we checked a few other schools do bass but none. So we went for some tog and seabass. Caught ton of short seabass but no keepers. We caught blackfish but was mostly shorts but still fun. Had them chewing good for a little while but sealed the tide changed and the bite slowed up. The biggest hit my 4’ UL ice fishing rod . Was a blast and luckily I was just one some nice structure and he didn’t get in it. 
  Took the last bit before dark to run the beach back to find the bass. Ton of bunker all over on our way out but was hard to find the late and the wind was blowing from the south fair putt a decent chop on the surface. Finally got a couple bunker and Mike land a nice 46” Bass. Long and lean. Not much for the table but still fun day. 

53612342-1002-49F7-9BC3-F4695AA079CB.jpeg

77A72E21-892C-4696-A5DD-802D713A7968.jpeg

Very cool.  Congrats on the great day. 

This past season while fluking we had caught some mackerel (chub?).  We joked about a shark or tuna grabbing one. Half hour later it happened. The mackerel came screaming to the surface but couldn't breach because the 6oz bucktail it was dragging.  Lol. A 100+lb bluefin grabbed it headed for Spain.  Lol. My buddy used his towel to palm the spool and pop it off. Sounded like a gun going off.  Lol. It was a nat geo type scene.  Crazy cool. 

18 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Very cool.  Congrats on the great day. 

This past season while fluking we had caught some mackerel (chub?).  We joked about a shark or tuna grabbing one. Half hour later it happened. The mackerel came screaming to the surface but couldn't breach because the 6oz bucktail it was dragging.  Lol. A 100+lb bluefin grabbed it headed for Spain.  Lol. My buddy used his towel to palm the spool and pop it off. Sounded like a gun going off.  Lol. It was a nat geo type scene.  Crazy cool. 

Water has been so clean out there anything can show up

5 hours ago, Lphunsjr said:

Same report Monday.. Lots of small seabass. Miles of bunker. Ended w a few porgies for the table. Not terrible, a first for me . Had my popping rod, was hoping for a tuna lol

IMG_20221011_194005758.jpg

What kind of popping rod?? 

I used my new Phenix popping rod...was pleasantly surprised how nice it was