IGNORED

Living and Dying like a Reptile

JFC1

The drought is really taking its toll.

I discovered that the deer were bedding along my normal path to a stand I hadn't hunted yet, so I thought "the water levels will be low in the stream and I can follow it up." Look what I found...I've never seen it dry like this. WPXL_20220923_123656858.jpg.69aeed6750e992304592ea33ef725df7.jpghen I came on this snapping turtle I was sure he'd be stinking, from the looks of him. But he finally hissed after a few light kicks. He had his face in the last bit of water in the stream, alongside three chub. I took him down to the bridge and no water there either. So we went off to a larger stream. There's no way they can bury themselves in mud in the Sourlands--all rock, all the way. The little box turtle wasn't so lucky. Not a mark on his shell. I'm assuming it was the drought, too.  I don't usually hold a snapping turtle by the tail, but we had to walk far and scramble over logs and through brambles so I couldn't make it safely with both hands on his shell.

PXL_20220923_123652838.jpg

PXL_20220923_123931851.jpg

PXL_20220923_123832642.jpg

PXL_20220923_131034683.jpg

PXL_20220923_125019214.jpg

PXL_20220923_120737445.jpg

Edited by JFC1

Nice, however don't let the low water fool you.

I'm about a mile from the Pohat Creek,  I wind up with baby snapping turtles in my yard and pond from time to time.

They don't live to be old as dirt by not knowing how to take care of themselves. His only downfall right now is the cold nights coming up they don't move all too quick. 

And it wreaks havoc on the respiratory system

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.

2 hours ago, Roon said:

Nice, however don't let the low water fool you.

I'm about a mile from the Pohat Creek,  I wind up with baby snapping turtles in my yard and pond from time to time.

They don't live to be old as dirt by not knowing how to take care of themselves. His only downfall right now is the cold nights coming up they don't move all too quick. 

And it wreaks havoc on the respiratory system

I agree, but he looked to be in bad shape in terms of dehydration from long-term absence of water and very weak from no food, even though he had three chubs dancing in front of his nose. Very little behind the back legs...

2 hours ago, JFC1 said:

I agree, but he looked to be in bad shape in terms of dehydration from long-term absence of water and very weak from no food, even though he had three chubs dancing in front of his nose. Very little behind the back legs...

They all aren't as lucky as my guys, Blue and Yellie  just came into their country club for the winter 

IMG_20220926_162321367_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220926_162329694_HDR.jpg

Not a complete a$$ hole just one of the dingle berries that hang off it.