IGNORED

what size of chum pot holes to drill?

mazzgolf

Well, I got bit by the fishing-with-a-chum-pot bug a couple weeks ago. Tons of fun. I think Saturday I'll go out with dad again one more time doing that before putting the fishing gear away and start hitting the hunting grounds.

We have one of those Eagle Claw pots, but the frozen chum just melts away and goes through its cage too fast. 

So I went out and bought some ABS pipe and fittings to put a section of pipe inside the cage and I plan on making my own to have a second pot to fish over. Question is - how big of holes should I drill into the pipe?

Anyone have their own homemade chum pots and can tell me how big the holes were you drilled into it? The number and size of the holes should be big enough to allow enough chum to get out and bring in the fish, but not so large that the chum just melts away and flushes out in less than an hour. I'm not even sure how long I should expect one of those logs of frozen chum to last - but I assume more than an hour.

14 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Well, I got bit by the fishing-with-a-chum-pot bug a couple weeks ago. Tons of fun. I think Saturday I'll go out with dad again one more time doing that before putting the fishing gear away and start hitting the hunting grounds.

We have one of those Eagle Claw pots, but the frozen chum just melts away and goes through its cage too fast. 

So I went out and bought some ABS pipe and fittings to put a section of pipe inside the cage and I plan on making my own to have a second pot to fish over. Question is - how big of holes should I drill into the pipe?

Anyone have their own homemade chum pots and can tell me how big the holes were you drilled into it? The number and size of the holes should be big enough to allow enough chum to get out and bring in the fish, but not so large that the chum just melts away and flushes out in less than an hour. I'm not even sure how long I should expect one of those logs of frozen chum to last - but I assume more than an hour.

You should be ok with 1/8 holes maybe a little bigger.  We used to use 5 gallon buckets n freeze chum in them than drill 1/4 inch holes in it for shark fishing.

U could also use bigger holes than wrap in screen n secure.

On a side note get a cheap grinder n only use it for chum.  We used to grind bunker killies spearing n scraps from fillets

Edited by vdep217