IGNORED

Grass seed and clover for deer

I have an old horse pasture about 1 acre butts up to over 100 acres of woods (not mine) and on the edge of my pasture I have a small pond ( 4’ bowls fills with runoff). I reclaimed it but cutting it down and it’s all weeds.  I’m getting ready to drag my Thatcher behind the ride on to get all the crap up and reseed it. Nice field area for the kids to play. I’m planting grass seed but was thinking of doing a patch of clover for deer.  What’s the best type of perennial clover deer love?  Red or white options I’m seeing online. Also any brands that a good and grow.  I’m letting nature do the watering down there. I figure thatch it, spread seed and maybe thatch again to kind of set it in the soil?  Thanks 

Whitetail Institute No Plow is pretty good. It's even better when you till, use herbicides, and fertilize

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Thanks all. Got some whitetail Institute coming. Given I own just a ride on mower and tow behind thatcher I’m going to do my best to set it In a decent size patch down there and see what happens.  

Just understand you will not see a lot of growth this fall with a perennial clover . Next spring is when it will take off if you get good germination this fall .  I would also lightly frost seed in March . Good luck 

10 hours ago, mike033089 said:

Thanks all. Got some whitetail Institute coming. Given I own just a ride on mower and tow behind thatcher I’m going to do my best to set it In a decent size patch down there and see what happens.  

Ground Hog Max with a quad does wonders. Also I would wait until spring as well

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."