IGNORED

Blowfish!

Thanks for the tips the other day about how to target blowfish. Me and dad went out this morning and caught a bunch as well as a kingfish as a bonus! First time I ever caught a blowfish.... Lots of fun when they are biting.

Question though... What tricks do you use so the chum pot doesn't empty out so fast after defrosting? Was thinking of getting a mesh bag at the dollar store and wrapping the pot with it ... End of day throw it away .. dunno if that will work though.

Also.. Recipe? Breaded and fried I guess?

c922b612281c8d65beb278010636e3cd408f44a38f6219e91087c40c69349004.jpg.fa97adcc427ef6212c99258832ff2801.jpgc07e81ab7d10e931af55f8f322cb446173c4a9ac8580b8aa56b12c071f82a9c5.jpg.e3e775f3daa40310df50c257d84e87ee.jpg

That's awesome congratulations!

Stay with the pot don't have to leave it out there the whole time  pick it up to save your clam squid bait.To ensure your boat stays directly over your chum slick, double anchoring is best. To do this, drop the front anchor and let out 30 to 40 yards of line (or more depending on wind conditions), then drop the rear anchor and pull back, taking in your front anchor line until the rear anchor is secure. Be very careful of your propeller when doing this so you don’t make a mess of things; this is almost always a two-man operation. This will ensure that your boat stays directly over your chum slick, which should keep your baited hooks right in front of the fish. The concentrated schools of blowfish tend to hang tight to the dispersing chum. Keep in mind that puffers travel in schools, so if you don’t catch fish within an hour or so, you may want to make a move a few hundred yards to the north or south in order to find schools of fish. In terms of chumming 

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

We kept 7 and the king.

I never saw a blowfish in person before. I got a kick how they sound just like filling up a bicycle tire with a hand pump when they blow up lol

Got my first one circa 1961 on my grandpa's Chris Craft in Sandy Hook Bay. In hindsight I could have made a ton of money tickle me Elmo dolls.lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

There is only one way for me to eat blow fish and that batter dipped and deep fried, and anyone who says they are like chicken is crazy they are BLOW FISH one of the best eating fish in the ocean. I have not had one since I sold the boat.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_20130703_144723.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

2 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Yup

That is the worst blow fish cleaning job I have ever seen, One cut behind. the head and turn upside down and hook head on nail and pull meat from the fish holding on  with grips. I can clean a blow fish in less that 10 seconds.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

1 minute ago, bushden said:

That is the worst blow fish cleaning job I have ever seen, One cut behind. the head and turn upside down and hook head on nail and pull meat from the fish holding on  with grips. I can clean a blow fish in less that 10 seconds.

I was curious if someone would respond to a way to do it quicker. My grandpa used to nail them in the head to a tree cut around the skin above the tail pull the skin off with pliers chop the tail off with a hatchet. Catfish saltwater version.

10 minutes ago, bushden said:

There is only one way for me to eat blow fish and that batter dipped and deep fried, and anyone who says they are like chicken is crazy they are BLOW FISH one of the best eating fish in the ocean. I have not had one since I sold the boat.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_20130703_144723.jpg

Great pics