IGNORED

Snack stix making tips and advice?

Bonefreak

Wife got me a master built electric smoker n I just bought a jerky blaster from @Bubblehead…thanks William!  Great meeting you and good luck with your big move!!  Have a safe and successful waterfowl season too!!

So, bubbs mentioned LEM products for casings n spices….I went on there and smoked my brain with confusion…cuz of the different casings, sizes, spices….I was expecting to see a snack stix kit that offered everything you need to make a batch….didn’t see anything like that…anyone have a good snack stix start up plan/recipe/advice?

I have about 25 lbs of ground venison mixed w pork fat from last year to work with. 

10 minutes ago, rackemup said:

This is the kit I use and love from LEM. I do some with the casings & some without.... I agree with @archer36 I like it without the casings better. I also have the Masterbuilt smoker and it works great for snack sticks & jerky.

20220908_113829.jpg.71d8567a7a8e6fd8254dcc52a5c5f0d1.jpg

I have the same one. Only used about 1/4 of it. If you or Bonefreak want it let me know. Hopefully you are near Old Bridge. 

I also have 4 bags of wood chips I can give you. 

Edited by archer36

16 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I have the same one. Only used about 1/4 of it. If you or Bonefreak want it let me know. Hopefully you are near Old Bridge. 

I also have 4 bags of wood chips I can give you. 

Thats Awesome of you, I appreciate it but I also have a bunch of the seasoning and more wood chips than I can use. After giving out Jerky & Snack sticks out to my family they all started giving me wood chips as xmas gifts.😃

30 minutes ago, GoodOleBoysinPA said:

This kit will make 20lbs and comes with 21mm casings.    I like to use 19mm casings.

LEM snack sticks

I usually only do 5lbs at a time. Follow mixing instructions for seasoning then follow this starting at step 6.

image.png.f758c7a887bb2d5ccfcf2d58e60fb03d.png

Outstanding!  Thanks!

What’s the difference the difference between 21 mm and 19 mm casings? Does this kit offer 19 mm or I wud have to buy em separately?

29 minutes ago, rackemup said:

This is the kit I use and love from LEM. I do some with the casings & some without.... I agree with @archer36 I like it without the casings better. I also have the Masterbuilt smoker and it works great for snack sticks & jerky.

20220908_113829.jpg.71d8567a7a8e6fd8254dcc52a5c5f0d1.jpg

If not using casings….I imagine you have to use a fine mesh screen to shoot jerky meat mix flat on to it?

4 minutes ago, Bonefreak said:

Outstanding!  Thanks!

What’s the difference the difference between 21 mm and 19 mm casings? Does this kit offer 19 mm or I wud have to buy em separately?

2mm.  haha.   not much difference I just prefer the smaller ones.  you would have to buy everything separately they have season packets for 5lbs and all different size casings.. see links

LEM Different size and no casing

different size casings

LEM is the way to go as far as casings it’s a personal preference, I like the casing but it’s lil more work . For convenience I make ground meat into flat strips with the giant  caulk gun …  never had a complaint yet 😋 if you want to start experimenting stuffing with cheeses than casings is your route . Don’t over temp when smoking slow and steady & use step up temps . PM me if you need assistance. 

Edited by Nanuk