IGNORED

Bringing a fly rod on a plane?

Merkel

11 hours ago, deefed said:

Check with the airline first. Inform them that it is a valuable fishing rod. I have been able to attach it to my backpack and carry it on as one carry on.

Thanks! I did check with United before I posted. Got inconsistent answers. First they told me it had to be checked in. Then they asked for measurements and said it would count as my one carry on. I am planning to bring a small suitcase on board as well to hold my waders, boots, vest and net.   Going to try to stick it in the pocket and hope for the best. 

27 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Thanks! I did check with United before I posted. Got inconsistent answers. First they told me it had to be checked in. Then they asked for measurements and said it would count as my one carry on. I am planning to bring a small suitcase on board as well to hold my waders, boots, vest and net.   Going to try to stick it in the pocket and hope for the best. 

I used to fly an awful lot and still do fly at times.  Nearly every trip includes at least one fly rod in a tube as carry on.  I toss my reels and my flies in my carry on backpack.  It's simple to replace clothing and toiletries if the airline loses your checked baggage, but not so easy if they lose your fly rods and reels (or spinning/casting rods and reels) if you travel.  The craziest I have ever heard happen was the airline personnel asked the reels (due to fly lines) and hooks to be checked in, but never rods.  But that was when we had the sneaker bomber scare or the 9/11 scare.  But those decisions are made independently by an airport (TSA) or airport employee and have nothing to do with a given airline's policies.  And there is nothing you can do about those things when you arrive at the airport.  I learned decades ago that what a given airline's policies are and what happens when you arrive at a given airport can be two very different things and you learn to roll with the punches.  All that said, you won't have any issues with fly rods in rod tubes as carry on luggage.    

7 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

I used to fly an awful lot and still do fly at times.  Nearly every trip includes at least one fly rod in a tube as carry on.  I toss my reels and my flies in my carry on backpack.  It's simple to replace clothing and toiletries if the airline loses your checked baggage, but not so easy if they lose your fly rods and reels (or spinning/casting rods and reels) if you travel.  The craziest I have ever heard happen was the airline personnel asked the reels (due to fly lines) and hooks to be checked in, but never rods.  But that was when we had the sneaker bomber scare or the 9/11 scare.  But those decisions are made independently by an airport (TSA) or airport employee and have nothing to do with a given airline's policies.  And there is nothing you can do about those things when you arrive at the airport.  I learned decades ago that what a given airline's policies are and what happens when you arrive at a given airport can be two very different things and you learn to roll with the punches.  All that said, you won't have any issues with fly rods in rod tubes as carry on luggage.    

Thanks very much! Exactly right about airline policies vs. reality.