Jump to content
IGNORED

Bringing a fly rod on a plane?


Merkel
 Share

Recommended Posts

For those of you who travel by plane with your fly rods, any issues or limits on bringing a fly rod as carry on luggage on a plane? Mine breaks down into 4 pcs in a 31” by 2 1/2” tube.  Heading out to Yellowstone next week. Got a note into United but wanted to see if someone had experience.  Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Merkel said:

Thanks guys! The United Rep just confirmed I can carry the fly rod as my carry on item but I can’t bring another carry on item on the plane. I’ll try anyway. 

Really I use it with my back pack sorta attach them together. And still bring a carry on. American/ JetBlue and United to the Bahamas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, OMC said:

Really I use it with my back pack sorta attach them together. And still bring a carry on. American/ JetBlue and United to the Bahamas. 

Yeah dealing with UA customer service is tedious.  Three times she ignored my question and told me UA allows rods to be checked in. LOL.    I’m going to just stick the rod into the pocket of a small suitcase (waders vest boots) that I plan to carry on.  Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Yeah dealing with UA customer service is tedious.  Three times she ignored my question and told me UA allows rods to be checked in. LOL.    I’m going to just stick the rod into the pocket of a small suitcase (waders vest boots) that I plan to carry on.  Thanks 

That could work but it may make it oversized. The small backpack with basic travel stuff along with the rod tube over your shoulder shouldn't be an issue at all. MY son flew out to MT in June and there was no issue. Fly rod tube backpack and carry on suitcase. Have a great trip ! Bring Hoppers it is the season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had to store my fly reels in my check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

That was the only time I had any issues flying with gear. 

Edited by CapeCod
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, CapeCod said:

I had to store my fly reels with check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

That was the only time I had any issues flying with gear. 

Everyone knows we fly anglers are some of the most notorious murderers on the planet! :rofl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CapeCod said:

I had to store my fly reels in my check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

That was the only time I had any issues flying with gear. 

Thanks - some of these rules are crazy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...