IGNORED

Bringing a fly rod on a plane?

Merkel

For those of you who travel by plane with your fly rods, any issues or limits on bringing a fly rod as carry on luggage on a plane? Mine breaks down into 4 pcs in a 31” by 2 1/2” tube.  Heading out to Yellowstone next week. Got a note into United but wanted to see if someone had experience.  Thanks.

Just now, Merkel said:

Thanks guys! The United Rep just confirmed I can carry the fly rod as my carry on item but I can’t bring another carry on item on the plane. I’ll try anyway. 

Really I use it with my back pack sorta attach them together. And still bring a carry on. American/ JetBlue and United to the Bahamas. 

18 minutes ago, OMC said:

Really I use it with my back pack sorta attach them together. And still bring a carry on. American/ JetBlue and United to the Bahamas. 

Yeah dealing with UA customer service is tedious.  Three times she ignored my question and told me UA allows rods to be checked in. LOL.    I’m going to just stick the rod into the pocket of a small suitcase (waders vest boots) that I plan to carry on.  Thanks 

40 minutes ago, Merkel said:

Yeah dealing with UA customer service is tedious.  Three times she ignored my question and told me UA allows rods to be checked in. LOL.    I’m going to just stick the rod into the pocket of a small suitcase (waders vest boots) that I plan to carry on.  Thanks 

That could work but it may make it oversized. The small backpack with basic travel stuff along with the rod tube over your shoulder shouldn't be an issue at all. MY son flew out to MT in June and there was no issue. Fly rod tube backpack and carry on suitcase. Have a great trip ! Bring Hoppers it is the season. 

I had to store my fly reels in my check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

That was the only time I had any issues flying with gear. 

Edited by CapeCod

Just now, CapeCod said:

I had to store my fly reels with check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

Everyone knows we fly anglers are some of the most notorious murderers on the planet! :rofl:

2 hours ago, CapeCod said:

I had to store my fly reels in my check-in luggage when we flew to Costa Rica. They said the fly lines could be used to strangle the flight staff 🤦

Thanks - some of these rules are crazy.