IGNORED

8/19 & 8/20 Fluking

Buck154

Had some slow fluking 2 days in a row.

Fish Friday taking my uncle.  Day started perfect drift for 2 drifts then no wind and no drift. Picked around finding short and a couple keepers. Around 10am the wind started out of the south and started cranking.  By the time we headed, I had a drift sock out and we still needed 6 and 8 oz jigs to hold near the bottom.  Ended the day bringing home 4 keepers and 2 bluefish. Also released a 22" and 23" fluke. Just couldn't find 2 more slot fish. 

Today  I took Mike (OMC). Again it was slow fluking but we did manage our limit and released 2 slot fish. Thought it was going to be a great day cause when we started I dropped down and caught a slot fish before Mike even got his line in. Then I got a 2nd slot fish with in 5 minutes. Was down hill from there till the afternoon. Slow but Mike and I always seam to pull a limit.  We did troll one small Bonita too

20220819_185925.jpg

20220820_180400.jpg

20220820_082418.jpg

3 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

Could have fished the first hour went home and then went back out and fish the last hour for our keepers...LOL

Here's your excuse.

I was conserving fuel:happywave:

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

1 hour ago, bucky said:

Nice grind:up: I have a bad feeling our summer flounder fishery is heading in the same direction as our winter flounder

Hope not. I still catch a lot but the odd limits are tough at times. I have caught 115 keepers myself this year. That's even keepers that I released cause already had the overs or slot fish limit. 

Thank god we got on an early false albie blitz before u guys got out there just E of SG reef. I wanted to troll for anything with a fork tail over and around both reefs before settling in for fluke. We were picking away at the small bonito. Then saw much bigger fish busting. Thought had to be school BFT or big false Albies, turned out to be the latter as a nice consolation. - all the great fight without the good meat. By the time you got out to us the fish dispersed. My son got to break in his new custom jigging world rod and shimano twin power reel. The 6 ounce nomad streaker jig was like candy to them. One would think “too big” for Albies but they were on it instantly. He cast into them while I was trolling around them and instant hookup. He went 3-4, my cousin-in-law dropped one after long fight and I nearly got spooled on lighter spinning rod but did land one on a green epoxy jig after a 15-20 minute battle. We continued  our troll down to the Axel. Had a new yellow-green feather daisy chain way back of the spread behind a green bird and I look back and it’s GONE. BROKE OFF AT ROD TIP.  Upon inspection - found a crack in the ceramic tip that cut line like a razor. Tried fluking much of axel moving around a lot. Two shorts it sucked. All the while drifting a shark line. Water at Axel was decent but nothing like SG reef. That was Gulf Stream blue and clear. Headed up by @buck154 and action only slightly better but still just shorts. Drifted albie filet for shark nearly entire length of reef then decided to head N off Elberon area. Fluke action only marginally better still no keepers. That’s right - zero keepers.  Called it a day by 4pm. Worst day fluking I ever experienced meanwhile big Mohawk gets another 13# fish!  

the 20’ Key West and 150 HP  Yamaha sipped gas only burned 14 gallons. Was able to run on plane entire day   Went from SRI to south Axel Reef all the back up to Long Branch and back to SRI   

4B4C5498-FE06-4F1A-AC41-7E395A50E6EE.jpeg

7B3C58D2-8657-43EB-8EA3-899D6EAD4E6A.jpeg

116CCFF2-AAEF-4151-BCBE-CF767BDB348B.jpeg

801D46D5-4C25-46B8-81A5-B2BF0781C55B.jpeg

C19A0365-DFEA-4E37-ACD5-22315EC86276.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

13 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Thank god we got on an early false albie blitz before u guys got out there just E of SG reef. I wanted to troll for anything with a fork tail over and around both reefs before settling in for fluke. We were picking away at the small bonito. Then saw much bigger fish busting. Thought had to be school BFT or big false Albies, turned out to be the latter as a nice consolation. - all the great fight without the good meat. By the time you got out to us the fish dispersed. My son got to break in his new custom jigging world rod and shimano twin power reel. The 6 ounce nomad streaker jig was like candy to them. One would think “too big” for Albies but they were on it instantly. He cast into them while I was trolling around them and instant hookup. He went 3-4, my cousin-in-law dropped one after long fight and I nearly got spooled on lighter spinning rod but did land one on a green epoxy jig after a 15-20 minute battle. We continued  our troll down to the Axel. Had a new yellow-green feather daisy chain way back of the spread behind a green bird and I look back and it’s GONE. BROKE OFF AT ROD TIP.  Upon inspection - found a crack in the ceramic tip that cut line like a razor. Tried fluking much of axel moving around a lot. Two shorts it sucked. All the while drifting a shark line. Water at Axel was decent but nothing like SG reef. That was Gulf Stream blue and clear. Headed up by @buck154 and action only slightly better but still just shorts. Drifted albie filet for shark nearly entire length of reef then decided to head N off Elberon area. Fluke action only marginally better still no keepers. That’s right - zero keepers.  Called it a day by 4pm. Worst day fluking I ever experienced meanwhile big Mohawk gets another 13# fish!  

the 20’ Key West and 150 HP  Yamaha sipped gas only burned 14 gallons. Was able to run on plane entire day   Went from SRI to south Axel Reef all the back up to Long Branch and back to SRI   

4B4C5498-FE06-4F1A-AC41-7E395A50E6EE.jpeg

7B3C58D2-8657-43EB-8EA3-899D6EAD4E6A.jpeg

116CCFF2-AAEF-4151-BCBE-CF767BDB348B.jpeg

801D46D5-4C25-46B8-81A5-B2BF0781C55B.jpeg

C19A0365-DFEA-4E37-ACD5-22315EC86276.jpeg

They were some big Albies for sure. Wish we got out there before they went down and disappeared. Todd still looked a little green holding the Bonita :laughing:  

Getting a shot at that Hammerhead was really cool as well. A few more seconds and we would’ve had him but since we didn’t have a rod with wire just tried to set early. Water was fantastic only 4 miles out!! 
John instead of one more cast it was OMD one more drift ! Long day but we got it done. 

3 minutes ago, OMC said:

Getting a shot at that Hammerhead was really cool as well. A few more seconds and we would’ve had him but since we didn’t have a rod with wire just tried to set early. Water was fantastic only 4 miles out!! 
John instead of one more cast it was OMD one more drift ! Long day but we got it done. 

How long was the hammerhead

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt