IGNORED

Here's the Sierra Club's map of where they don't want us to hunt in The Gap

Sierra Club's map is published for their proposed National Park and Preserve to replace what we know today as The Gap... dark green is where they do not want us to be able to hunt or even fish consumptively (I ASSUME catch and release will still be allowed). I also don't know if gas motors will be illegal on the river here - I suspect they will be illegal, but I do not know.

On their website here: https://delvalpark.org/

The Google Map link is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_zJtjqcHNfjamYpbGlScBgASDqZPgHrl/view?usp=sharing

The light green is where they will graciously allow us to continue to hunt, but with potentially additional license fees, access fees, and/or who knows what other limitations will be in place (new safety zones when additional amenities are built? Additional federal hunting limitations that come with National Park/Preserve status? Who knows).

Thanks for the info, Mazz.

I bowhunt right on the river but, surprisingly, it's outside of the no-hunting area. I'll continue to contact my elected officials, though. The no-hunting zones may force people to where I go, anyway ... would suck.

Many don’t know that this is the Sierra Club’s second attempt at making parts of NY, PA and NJ a National Park. This time they added “and Lenape Reserve” which is new. I’m guessing they felt that adding Native Americans to their proposal would make it more palatable.  

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Many don’t know that this is the Sierra Club’s second attempt at making parts of NY, PA and NJ a National Park. This time they added “and Lenape Reserve” which is new. I’m guessing they felt that adding Native Americans to their proposal would make it more palatable.  

Totally agree. There's quite a few people that will think "Oh...this must be to support Native Americans and a good thing", without actually understanding what they're supporting, especially for people that aren't familiar with the current Gap situation. 

Sierra Club is playing on people's emotional response to keywords  and make it seem if someone doesn't support this they must be anti Native American.

Typical liberal BS that if you don't agree with me, then you must be 100% against me and hate me.

7 minutes ago, DJ0808 said:

Sierra Club is playing on people's emotional response to keywords  and make it seem if someone doesn't support this they must be anti Native American.

The ironic thing is - only the out of state Lenape (in Oklahoma, I think it is) seem to agree with the proposal. The LOCAL indigenous populace (the ones still here) are opposed from what I understand.  But I know that at least, as of a month ago, the local Lenape WEREN'T EVEN invited into a conversation, according to Lenape Chief Daniel Strongwalker Thomas : "Lenape communities have yet to be consulted by the DelValPark group, but I would welcome the opportunity to be invited into the conversation"

It's fast and easy to call your elected officials. Call them regardless of which district you live in ... this affects all of us.

You'll just speak to a member of their staff ... they will note what you say. Though, I have had actual elected officials call me back.

I've read staffers say that phone calls carry the most weight. The people that look at things differently than you call.

FIND YOUR DISTRICT/LEGISLATOR

20 minutes ago, ithaca10 said:

Would we calling our local or federal officials.

Technically, our local officials have no "official" say. Only U.S. Congress can make this designation change to National Park. So our federal reps are the most important ones for this issue because they are the ones who have the "real" votes that count.

That said, we were told that if the locals don't want it, Congress probably won't do it (it likely won't even get out of committee). So if the majority of local municipalities, their mayors and councils, come out against it, then more likely than not Congress won't pass it. Is that a guarantee? Nope. As I say, the official votes come from U.S. Congress and of course they can override the will of the local people.

So, in short, contact both :) 

15 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

That said, we were told that if the locals don't want it, Congress probably won't do it (it likely won't even get out of committee).

The Obama administration greatly expanded the national park coverage against the wishes of the local communities.  Don't forget all of those armed confrontations with the federal government trying to impose their will on the local people who had been using those lands for generations until the Obama admin threw them under the bus.  The Biden administration is is the Obama administration v2.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.