Jump to content
IGNORED

Used long gun transfer question


DDS

Recommended Posts

If I find a private party or one online can I have it shipped to or meet at a PA FFL for the transfer to me? Or does it have to go through a NJ FFL.
Typically buy new long guns in PA and know this is legal but not sure about used. 

the way I read the law it seams it must be transferred at a NJ FFL but this was also including new guns, and unless they changed that the last new gun I bought in PA was in 2019 and I had no issues.

Only reason I’m thinking to do this is because I live right on the boarder in NJ, I work in PA. Their NICS is done in 15 min or less and the transfer fees are much cheaper then NJ. Also I pass 3-4 on my way to work, while the closest one in NJ is 30 min from me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DDS said:

If I find a private party or one online can I have it shipped to or meet at a PA FFL for the transfer to me? Or does it have to go through a NJ FFL.
Typically buy new long guns in PA and know this is legal but not sure about used. 

the way I read the law it seams it must be transferred at a NJ FFL but this was also including new guns, and unless they changed that the last new gun I bought in PA was in 2019 and I had no issues.

Only reason I’m thinking to do this is because I live right on the boarder in NJ, I work in PA. Their NICS is done in 15 min or less and the transfer fees are much cheaper then NJ. Also I pass 3-4 on my way to work, while the closest one in NJ is 30 min from me. 

I know you can buy a used long gun from a pa store as a jersey  resident i have bought several from cabelas.   I would assume once the shop takes owner ship they do the necessary paperwork n your good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was my thought too. But with a person to person transfer does the store take ownership or do they just facilitate the transfer in some way. I forgot to include what you mentioned as that was my thought too about it being okay to buy used guns from a shop in PA. 
 I’m probably reading into the law too much, however in NJ you almost have too.  The law I’m referring to says “All firearms transactions must be completed at a State licensed retail firearms dealer” but maybe they imply any state not just NJ state, where I’m thinking they mean only NJ state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, DDS said:

That was my thought too. But with a person to person transfer does the store take ownership or do they just facilitate the transfer in some way. I forgot to include what you mentioned as that was my thought too about it being okay to buy used guns from a shop in PA. 
 I’m probably reading into the law too much, however in NJ you almost have too.  The law I’m referring to says “All firearms transactions must be completed at a State licensed retail firearms dealer” but maybe they imply any state not just NJ state, where I’m thinking they mean only NJ state. 

Yes you can. The law you are referencing is for two NJ residents transferring ownership inside NJ. The old way was done on a Certificate of Eligibility and no FFL. Now you do the same COE but it goes through FFL with a NICS check

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Yes you can. The law you are referencing is for two NJ residents transferring ownership inside NJ. The old way was done on a Certificate of Eligibility and no FFL. Now you do the same COE but it goes through FFL with a NICS check

I know you know, but there are 3 exceptions to this: family, active leo to active law enforcement, & to curio/relic firearms dealer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I know you know, but there are 3 exceptions to this: family, active leo to active law enforcement, & to curio/relic firearms dealer

Since the OP only mentioned  person to person I didn't believe there was any exemption to be mentioned 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...