IGNORED

Any skiers remember Glen Ellen?

Bucksnbows

I recently found this old patch when I was cleaning up my office. My family along with two others from our lake community bought a ski house back in ‘74 and we skied Glen Ellen more than any other area. If snow was good, we skied Mad River Glen. By the time we sold it in the early 90s, it was Sugarbush North. Glen Ellen was always the family mountain and didn’t see the same pressure that Sugarbush saw. I have many great memories of out of bounds powder days, skiing Devil’s Tail which was never officially opened (to the right of FIS looking up the mountain and steeper), Scotch Mist moguls under the upper lift, and many other memories.  

Any Vermont skiers here?  I’m sure I’m not the only one. 

51C70559-994A-4D5E-B571-328B5729FEC0.jpeg

I skied there when I was a kid.  My Dad's company had a condo at Killington that we were able to use in the 70's.  We used it for skiing a couple of times.  We skied at Stowe, Killington, Sugarbush and some others.  In 76 when I was 14 we stayed at the condo and went deer hunting.  No deer but we got a bear.  Some of the condo skiers were appalled. lol  

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

Edited by Nomad

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I skied there when I was a kid.  My Dad's company had a condo at Killington that we were able to use in the 70's.  We used it for skiing a couple of times.  We skied at Stowe, Killington, Sugarbush and some others.  In 76 when I was 14 we stayed at the condo and went deer hunting.  No deer but we got a bear.  Some of the condo skiers were appalled. lol  

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4407.jpg

Awesome!  I did a lot of fall grouse hunting at our house and we had grouse back then like so many mosquitos!  I also trapped some a few times, and caught the largest raccoon I have ever seen.  In summer, we trout fished and road bikes all over the state.  I caught my first trout on a flyrod in the Mad River in Waitsfield by the old swimming hole, a 13" rainbow that took mercy on a kid that could only afford an 80 cent bumblebee imitation fly.  But hey, it caught a fish! 

On holiday weekends, we often skied Bolton which had the least crowds.  And sometimes we stayed at our house, but had ski races (USESA) at Pico or Killington although usually at Pico Peak.   

Not a skier, but spent a lot of time trout fishing in my youth in southern Vermont around the ski resorts of Mt Snow and Stratton Mt. Fished the Deerfield, West, Battenkill and   Walloomsac Rivers. Caught my first trout on a fly in the Walloomsac in Bennington. Should also note we did not have any nice housing accommodations near the ski resorts. We stayed at tent sites at the local State parks.🙂

Edited by OldPiney Woods

59 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Not a skier, but spent a lot of time trout fishing in my youth in southern Vermont around the ski resorts of Mt Snow and Stratton Mt. Fished the Deerfield, West, Battenkill and   Walloomsac Rivers. Caught my first trout on a fly in the Walloomsac in Bennington. Should also note we did not have any nice housing accommodations near the ski resorts. We stayed at tent sites at the local State parks.🙂

My Dad and I went to the Orvis store in Manchester.  I got a lesson there and then we fished the Battenkill.  Those were some smart trout.

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My Dad and I went to the Orvis store in Manchester.  I got a lesson there and then we fished the Battenkill.  Those were some smart trout.

Yeah the Battenkill trout were tough. Never had much luck with them, but knew a native guy who fished it with minnows all the time and often got his limit. The limit was 12 trout back then. We stopped in the Orvis store a few times when in the area. One time my cousin was up there with his Dad. My cousin was 10 or 12. His Dad sent him in there to get some worms. His Dad didn’t know what kind of sporting goods store it was. You can imagine the reception he got.

38 minutes ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Yeah the Battenkill trout were tough. Never had much luck with them, but knew a native guy who fished it with minnows all the time and often got his limit. The limit was 12 trout back then. We stopped in the Orvis store a few times when in the area. One time my cousin was up there with his Dad. My cousin was 10 or 12. His Dad sent him in there to get some worms. His Dad didn’t know what kind of sporting goods store it was. You can imagine the reception he got.

Buying “garden hackle” from snooty Orvis. :rofl: