IGNORED

From Fish & Game

BHC

17 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

If it doesn't rain, there won't be much EHD.

Not true .

EHD and BTV outbreaks often occur in late summer and early fall (August-September), especially in years with drought-like conditions. Drought causes water sources to shrink, which creates warm, shallow, and stagnant pockets of water creating ideal breeding habitat for the midges that transmit EHD. Deer also congregate in these areas to find water, which helps the midges pass the disease between infected and healthy deer. EHD outbreaks can last until a frost that kills the midges.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

Not true .

EHD and BTV outbreaks often occur in late summer and early fall (August-September), especially in years with drought-like conditions. Drought causes water sources to shrink, which creates warm, shallow, and stagnant pockets of water creating ideal breeding habitat for the midges that transmit EHD. Deer also congregate in these areas to find water, which helps the midges pass the disease between infected and healthy deer. EHD outbreaks can last until a frost that kills the midges.

I don't disagree with your statement, but I think we have a significantly less amount of water—even small pockets—to make the issue as widespread as it was last year.  If we continue to not have rainfall, this will exasperate the situation.

That's why I didn't say it will eliminate it, but I think it will be less widespread.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

58 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I don't disagree with your statement, but I think we have a significantly less amount of water—even small pockets—to make the issue as widespread as it was last year.  If we continue to not have rainfall, this will exasperate the situation.

That's why I didn't say it will eliminate it, but I think it will be less widespread.

No worries you haven’t killed a deer in over a decade anyway 😂

AWM

12 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

No worries you haven’t killed a deer in over a decade anyway 😂

Naw, I've killed deer this decade.  I work far too much to be out in the woods as much as I'd like.  I think I only hunted seven days last year, and five of them were in NH.  But like everything else, that too will change.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Your thinking about the midges as if they were mosquitoes .

lots if small stagnate pools making more , 

‘All the information goes against that , they need spots of constant mud , not just puddles etc .

when there is water everywhere , they don’t do as much damage as the game is spread out .

it’s when there is little water , and all the deer congregate at those water sources that the midges are in the more deer get bitten.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

13 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Your thinking about the midges as if they were mosquitoes .

lots if small stagnate pools making more , 

‘All the information goes against that , they need spots of constant mud , not just puddles etc .

when there is water everywhere , they don’t do as much damage as the game is spread out .

it’s when there is little water , and all the deer congregate at those water sources that the midges are in the more deer get bitten.

I appreciate the different perspective.

I bet you a beer I'm right.  Let's see how the season pans out.  I sincerely hope EHD is less of an issue this year, but that remains to be seen.

You can collect your beer (assuming you win) at this year's Christmas party.  If you don't show and I win, @JHbowhunter will pay your debt for you.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

5 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I bet you a beer I'm right.  Let's see how the season pans out.  I sincerely hope EHD is less of an issue this year, but that remains to be seen.

You can collect your beer (assuming you win) at this year's Christmas party.  If you don't show and I win, @JHbowhunter will pay your debt for you.

Hammer don't imbibe, you can pay him in bucktails. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

8 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Not my perspective .

it’s based on ALL  the information being used by FG , depts all over the United States .

Based in those being paid to figure out how to possibly combat against it .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

32 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Not my perspective .

it’s based on ALL  the information being used by FG , depts all over the United States .

Based in those being paid to figure out how to possibly combat against it .

I wouldn’t put any faith in our fish and game with anything. Last year we had alot of rain. Horrible EHD. This year drought conditions and fish and game is worried  about EHD. Which is it ?

Edited by Buckeyes11

Just now, Buckeyes11 said:

I wouldn’t put any faith in our fish and game with anything. 

He’s talking about many, many fish and game biologists, not just NJ. That said, hammer is correct. All literature shows late summer in dry years being the worst for EHD. But that doesn’t in any way explain last year which was the polar opposite. Perhaps in addition to dry years, exceptionally wet years may also be bad EHD years. Guess the jury is still out about that.