IGNORED

Need shotgun suggestion for 10 yr old daughter

Marksman57

I want to introduce clay shooting to my 10 year old daughter. She is tall for her age and should be able to handle a light shotgun. Looking for advice on a good .410 or anything that would be helpful introducing her to the sport. Eventually would like to take her upland hunting but want to practice shooting clays for a year or so. Thanks !

I started my daughter on a Mossberg 500 when she was about 12.  It's a 20GA, and if you start her with low brass it might be a reasonable starting point.  I think the 500 I got was a combo kit that had a smoothbore barrel, rifled barrel, and it came with a scope.  The scope is junk, but is a reasonably priced kit that is versatile out of the box.  I sometimes use it to shoot trap/skeet because it's a fun gun to shoot.  She will also be able to grow into the 20 if she sticks with it.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

As a starter my son had the youth Mossberg 500 combo as well. He was a very undersized 10 year old and killed everything from rabbits to deer with it. I added an aftermarket scope to Ryan's and it was a great shooter for the money. He also has a Stoeger Youth O/U in 20 gauge.  Fun upland gun for a young kid. 

32 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I started my daughter on a Mossberg 500 when she was about 12.  It's a 20GA, and if you start her with low brass it might be a reasonable starting point.  I think the 500 I got was a combo kit that had a smoothbore barrel, rifled barrel, and it came with a scope.  The scope is junk, but is a reasonably priced kit that is versatile out of the box.  I sometimes use it to shoot trap/skeet because it's a fun gun to shoot.  She will also be able to grow into the 20 if she sticks with it.

This

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I want to introduce clay shooting to my 10 year old daughter. She is tall for her age and should be able to handle a light shotgun. Looking for advice on a good .410 or anything that would be helpful introducing her to the sport. Eventually would like to take her upland hunting but want to practice shooting clays for a year or so. Thanks !

Stay away from a 410. Contrary to what many believe a 410 is not a good youth gun it is for experts. A youngster will get frustrated trying to hit game or clay targets with a 410. As others have said a 20 gauge is a much better choice and a pump is good all around use gun. With the right ammo and chokes it can be used for upland hunting, waterfowl, deer, turkey and the clay games.

Sorry but I have to give a long winded answer on this question. 

first off it would be helpful to know your price range 

second don’t start her on a .410 get her a 20 or 28 and buy a semi auto not a single shot. Going to be a bunch of guys chime in and say start her on a single shot so she can learn. But remember all guns are single shots if you only put one shell in and then she can be comfortable with one gun and not have to learn a second when she is ready to graduate to multiple shots. Also a semi auto is going to kick less due to the buffer tube.  

now as far as gauge I definitely wouldn’t go .410. Shells are hard to come by and expensive. Don’t let that be a reason she can’t shoot.  A 28 gauge is ideal if you can find one at a good price but that may be difficult.  A 20ga semi auto with light game loads doesn’t kick much especially if she is strong enough to hold up a gun that weighs a little more

Also I can’t recommend your first trip to the range being plinking with a .22 enough. No swinging the gun, you can be right next to her working on trigger and safety discipline after each group of shots and she won’t be frustrated after missing clays. Just a thought!

There is also the 20 ga autoloader. I pissed off my wife and spent the bucks on a Rem 1100 Youth LT-20 when our oldest was 9. He was barely able to action the gun, but he did.

1100's weight + autoloading action + light skeet loads = softest recoil and lots of time at the range.  Put the open choke on it, and she'll busting little puppy clay targets almost immediately.

When shooting with young kids, I control the ammo .... one shell at a time, nothing in the magazine.

I had first bought a Lil Pardner .410 break action, and nothing scientific, but I don't think I could tell the difference in recoil between it and the above Remington setup.

Good luck, whatever you dol. Great job, dad!

2 hours ago, Marksman57 said:

Where are you located?  Thev20 guage is the better option or a 28 guage could fit the bill to get her started.  I'm in toms river would be able to meet you in colliers mill or assunpink to let her try both

Edited by vdep217