IGNORED

Sussex County Snake Bite

OMC

1 hour ago, LittleM said:

All snakes have teeth and northern water snakes have some of the nastiest. My guess it was a bite from a NWS.

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

If it were a NWS how would you explain only two holes and the high spot over ankle bone having no marks? 

E1F49445-497D-4A90-8AE6-67B92E96E683.png

Guys we will never know.

So we can back and forth I just thought I would put it on here. 

John we are talking about Newton Hospital so not sure they even thought about it. He started responding to the IV Antibiotics so who knows. As I said they mentioned they said they don't see snake bites. 

10 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

While I could not find any pics of NWS teeth they are reported to be tiny like a garter snake. Does not match the bite but also - holes appear to be pretty spaced apart for copperhead unless it’s a huge one. 

You didn’t like my picture?   

Northern Water Snake

nersip3.jpg.fa5f968d7c0a478d338f5bfd33058796.jpg

Copperhead

images.jpeg.eda6e0e5fb34bbccd071806374b21aa5.jpeg

These are confused with each other all the time.

If the guy ain't dead and he has little complications, very unlikely it was a copperhead bite

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

6 minutes ago, Bucndoe said:

Northern Water Snake

nersip3.jpg.fa5f968d7c0a478d338f5bfd33058796.jpg

Copperhead

images.jpeg.eda6e0e5fb34bbccd071806374b21aa5.jpeg

These are confused with each other all the time.

If the guy ain't dead and he has little complications, very unlikely it was a copperhead bite

Not necessarily.   The copper head bite rarely results in death to a human and rarely requires anti venom to treat.

Edited by vdep217

1 hour ago, vdep217 said:

Not necessarily.   The copper head bite rarely results in death to a human and rarely requires anti venom to treat.

I said dead OR complications. Reactions can vary. I'm still leaning to water snake. There is also a bit a sacasim in my response

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 hours ago, Bucndoe said:

I said dead OR complications. Reactions can vary. I'm still leaning to water snake. There is also a bit a sacasim in my response

I figured the sarcasm.   But imo a water snake or any no venomous snake you would see  bottom and top teeth marks in the shape of the mouth.(been bitten by pines and black rats more than i care to admit.  The gap of the fang marks being far apart could be angle of strike the way he was leaning when bit etc.

You only see the 2 marks because a venomous snake is not striking a human to eat but just as defense only hitting with it fangs

Edited by vdep217

Hope your friend is recovering well, the discomfort can't be fun.

Puncture wounds only appear further apart due to swelling.

Easiest way to tell if snake is poisonous is by head shape for quick identification,  exception is corral snake. All 3 NA poisonous snakes have very similar head shape.

10 hours ago, OMC said:

Guys we will never know.

So we can back and forth I just thought I would put it on here. 

John we are talking about Newton Hospital so not sure they even thought about it. He started responding to the IV Antibiotics so who knows. As I said they mentioned they said:up: they don't see snake bites. 

Glad he's doing better:up:

State biologist's maybe interested to hear from him 

https://www.nj.gov/dep/daw/snakes/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt