IGNORED

Skishing???

MGHunter66

My question is what happens if the school of blues moves in where you're swimming because either a blue you caught is bleeding or you get a bleeding wound from lure/fish handling?

We've all seen blues in a blitz tear thru bunker, stripers, and other blues so I don't think a wetsuit will protect from bites...

IMO blues are like saltwater piranhas 😂

Yeah, I do a version of it but only in the LI Sound.  Most of the time people aren't actually swimming the whole time, but swimming out to rocks and then standing on them. Or wading out when tide is low and then staying on until they're swept off and have to swim back. It's declined recently on Cape Cod and Montauk due to the increased presence of Great Whites. Not good to look like a seal with a fish on a stringer, especially at dawn and dusk, right? 

For now the Sound seems pretty safe, and the waves and currents are a lot easier to deal with than Montauk. The biggest danger is I think the smelly water or people on land at night when in or near the Bronx . But a friend does swear he came across a big Bull Shark at the mouth of the Housatonic in CT. 

I can't say, however, that I've ever "ridden" a 60lb or even 40lb striper to tire it out. 

7 minutes ago, DJ0808 said:

My question is what happens if the school of blues moves in where you're swimming because either a blue you caught is bleeding or you get a bleeding wound from lure/fish handling?

We've all seen blues in a blitz tear thru bunker, stripers, and other blues so I don't think a wetsuit will protect from bites...

IMO blues are like saltwater piranhas 😂

Never really worried about that. Damn:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1987-04-17-8701240724-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/04/21/archives/bluefish-biting-of-surfers-called-rare-blames-bluefish.html

https://www.nytimes.com/1976/04/10/archives/ravenous-bluefish-attack-swimmers-at-florida-beaches.html

Yes, did it a lot in the 80s and early 90s. Always wore a wetsuit which has some buoyancy. Never worried about sharks. My kid brother was always doing it with me. Blues and bass off NJ beaches, usually on LBI as we had a family home there at that time. It was big off Montauk for a time.  

i watched a short documentary about this. maybe it was called "montauk rocks". i cant remember but that guy was in it. paul. or paulie. 

crazy for sure. i can see rock hopping. but not bobbing in the water lol. would make a great van staal reel commercial.