IGNORED

Any KIA mechanics on site

Daughters car in shop for poss blown engine for 2 weeks so far, still waiting for their certified mechanic to look at it,  2013 KIA sportage,  there was a huge recall , install some software to prevent engine from failure, it was done last year on her car, but didn't help.  Trying to get some knowledge from a KIA auto tech.

Ty in advance 

Wife’s did the same thing but it was an optima. Shut off on 80 with check engine light on. Towed to dealer. They claimed battery and did the recall update (which was years later than she got letter for). Upon start up they said we notice engine knocking and it’s blown. Which I didn’t believe the battery being initial problem since the rpms were all over before it shut off. Anyway they gave us a “new” rebuilt engine for free. This happened about 4 years ago. At the time it was a quick turnaround even with all the replacements going on.  Who knows with “covid” now.  Her Kia became my commuter car shortly after.  45k miles on it so far and runs great. 

Both  Kia and Hyundai have a huge problem with connecting rod bearing wear. The knock sensor picks up the excessive "noise" and the ecm puts the engine into limp mode and sets a code  P1326. The dealer has a special setup to measure piston travel and once it's confirmed excessive they replace the engine under warranty. I've been hearing up to six weeks to get your car back.

Ty guys.   The thing that ticked me off was when service rep called me saying " technically your vin# doesn't come up as recall"   same model , years as others,  my argument is , I was notified by kia , must download this software or not responsible for any engine failure,  came with a 15 year 150, 000 miles warranty starting last May.   So I wait now for them to figure this out.