IGNORED

Baby Back Ribs Recipe?

Buck154

I usually rub them with a homemade rub of salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder,  cumin, chili powder and brown sugar.  Smoke at 225 for 4-5 hrs, until done.  Usually you tell by picking up the middle of the rack with tongs.  If they bend and break slightly they're done.  If they bend and don't break at all, they need more time.  If they bend and fall apart, they're overdone.  Pork does best with apple, cherry or pecan wood

I smoke mine for 2 hours at 275 with a dry rub, then i mix together 1 cup of sweet baby rays original, 1/2 cup of sweey chili sauce, and 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Mix that together and brush on the ribs. Wrap ribs in foil and back in the smoker for 2 more hours in the foil. If you like a charred coat you can sear on the grill to finish. 

51 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Anyone marinates their ribs overnight in soy and chicken broth?

Never tried it. 

No.  I don't marinate or inject anything that I'm going to smoke.  It makes the meat mushy.  Dry rubs only.  

If you're going to use a sauce at all, then I only sauce at the very end or sometimes just cut and toss the finished ribs in the sauce immediately before serving

1 minute ago, not on the rug said:

No.  I don't marinate or inject anything that I'm going to smoke.  It makes the meat mushy.  Dry rubs only.  

If you're going to use a sauce at all, then I only sauce at the very end or sometimes just cut and toss the finished ribs in the sauce immediately before serving

Funny you say that. The recipe with the marinade calls for cooking on the grill, not smoker so you are probably right on about that. :up:

32 minutes ago, Buck154 said:

wood pellet smoker grill

Plan on taking about 6-7 hours to cook the ribs this way.  You want to do them slow and low.

Prepare the ribs (clean, remove silver skin, etc.)
Put ribs bone-down on the grates and set the smoker for max smoke for 90 minutes.
After the initial smoke, set the temp to 250°F.  Go away and do something for a few hours.
About 20 minutes before they come off the grill, lather copiously with BBQ sauce.

The initial smoke is important to get the smoke into the meat.  250°F is your cooking temperature.  Putting BBQ sauce on the ribs last allows the outside of the ribs to crisp up.  Cooking with the BBQ sauce on for 20 more minutes should thicken the BBQ sauce and cause it to start carlemizing.

Cut and serve.

If you are worried about moisture, every hour during the cook, spritz the ribs with apple cider vinegar and water mixture.  The water will provide the moisture and the vinegar will balance out the sweetness from the meat and BBQ sauce.

I generally don't marinate ribs.  I want the flavor of the meat and fat and focus more on the outside of the ribs.  Get the smoke on, outside crispy, and the sauce thick and messy.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

9 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Funny you say that. The recipe with the marinade calls for cooking on the grill, not smoker so you are probably right on about that. :up:

Right on.  Marinating for the grill is fine.  I don't think grilled ribs are all that great though.   No time to break down the connective tissue and render the fat

I agree with everything HH said except for the meat temperature part, and he and I have argued over this before.  You can't accurately temp a rack of ribs.  You'll get different temps between each of the bones.  Also, no real need to temp them anyway.  Do the bend test instead. 

I also tend to do pork ribs at 225, but I don't have a pellet smoker,  so maybe 250 is better for those newfangled contraptions.  Lol

1 minute ago, not on the rug said:

I agree with everything HH said except for the meat temperature part, and he and I have argued over this before.  You can't accurately temp a rack of ribs.  You'll get different temps between each of the bones.  Also, no real need to temp them anyway.  Do the bend test instead. 

I also tend to do pork ribs at 225, but I don't have a pellet smoker,  so maybe 250 is better for those newfangled contraptions.  Lol

The difference between 225 and 250 is so subtle.  I would normally do 225 because I plan on long cooking times and recommended 250 to others to reduce the amount of cooking time.  But you don't lose much at all between 225 and 250 other than time.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.