IGNORED

Smoked pork shoulder drama edition

BCsaw

3 hours ago, Farmshine said:

A lot of smoking going on!  I did a brisket on Sunday.  19.5 hours at 225 or so.  Came out great. 

C6D53A35-F2C4-479E-8D02-7853A0D12C61.jpeg

403CB586-2B15-477C-85AA-6694F6DA8D31.jpeg

nice bark on that brisket too. looks good. what internal temp did you remove it from the smoker? my last one i removed at 203. next time i may try lower. like 195 and let rest in cooler for 6 hours. 

the last one i smoked. i smoked until 203 and rested for 4 hours. time is a bitch when people are over and they are hungry. 

2 hours ago, Kype said:

nice bark on that brisket too. looks good. what internal temp did you remove it from the smoker? my last one i removed at 203. next time i may try lower. like 195 and let rest in cooler for 6 hours. 

the last one i smoked. i smoked until 203 and rested for 4 hours. time is a bitch when people are over and they are hungry. 

I did not wrap this one and I must say the bark was way better than when I wrap at 165 or so.  The flat was around 205.  Ive been going by feel more so than temp.  I started prodding it around 195 and I took it off when I was satisfied with tenderness.  I let it rest for about 2 1/2 hours.  I also experimented with a few things that I feel made a positive difference.  I cooked it fat cap down because I was reading that its better for pellet smokers where the heat comes from underneath (I know its contrary to the indirect heat concept) . I also injected the brisket with wagyu beef tallow.  The walmart cuts do not have great marbling so I added more fat to the cut.  

10 minutes ago, Farmshine said:

I did not wrap this one and I must say the bark was way better than when I wrap at 165 or so.  The flat was around 205.  Ive been going by feel more so than temp.  I started prodding it around 195 and I took it off when I was satisfied with tenderness.  I let it rest for about 2 1/2 hours.  I also experimented with a few things that I feel made a positive difference.  I cooked it fat cap down because I was reading that its better for pellet smokers where the heat comes from underneath (I know its contrary to the indirect heat concept) . I also injected the brisket with wagyu beef tallow.  The walmart cuts do not have great marbling so I added more fat to the cut.  

Heard that about fat cap also 

1 hour ago, Farmshine said:

I never wrap anything at all.  Never have an issue with dry meat either 

From what I've read, if the heat comes from underneath, then you are supposed to keep the fat cap down.  Probably gave you a better result that way.

Injecting with wagyu tallow sounds like a great idea.  I don't like to inject meat with liquid  because it makes the meat mushy, but injecting with tallow sounds like a winning idea.  

24 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

I never wrap anything at all.  Never have an issue with dry meat either 

From what I've read, if the heat comes from underneath, then you are supposed to keep the fat cap down.  Probably gave you a better result that way.

Injecting with wagyu tallow sounds like a great idea.  I don't like to inject meat with liquid  because it makes the meat mushy, but injecting with tallow sounds like a winning idea.  

$30 Amazon.  I presume you could find it locally as well.  I use it for a few different things in the kitchen. 

2B24962E-F3A9-4C0E-B34D-92579B90AD73.jpeg