IGNORED

Is it possible to beat NJ record Striper?

JHbowhunter

I was thinking about this - what if you caught a bass that would beat Al McReynolds 78lbs, 8 ounce bohemoth?  

You have to let her go asap.    I guess it's a record that will stand for as long as the regulations preserve it. 

What other gamefish records are protected by regulations?  These come to mind - 

• NJ Mako - can't fish for them next two years due to moratorium (a good thing, but longliners will still decimate them as bycatch)
  • Florida Goliath Grouper aka "Jewfish" - can't keep them in Florida
  • NJ Bluefin Tuna - can't keep one  73" or over
  • NJ Fluke - if you already retained your 18" or over  (LMAO) because NOBODY would "cull" that 20" fluke if they caught a 24 lb doormat!!!

I have deposit on a 22' Key West CC but it's down in Reedville VA and working out the logistics is delaying pickup, as I have to coordinate it with a new trailer purchase. (6 hour drive). 

Figured it's just a matter of time before I catch that 80# Striper over the next few years......

Edited by JHbowhunter

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

Record can’t be broken with current regs .

and with such a horrible Chesapeake run moving up I expect regs could get even tighter .

shame that VA lack of response early effects all striper stocks after they push east .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I still have not caught a 50. I have caught tons of upper 40s, but not a single 50 plus ....

50 pounds used to be the magic # .

but a high 40# caught post spawn was probably mid 50’s full of eggs .

last fall legit 60# fish were caught  , but those were egg laden fish .

IMO length and girth of a fish would give a little better idea to compare both spawned , and egg laden fish .

chesapeake fish are much shorter than the  Hudson strain fish , but almost always gave 25% larger girth and weigh more .

all those fish we used to catch at the Thunderbird in the High forties were probably mid 60’s just a few weeks before.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

33 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

50 pounds used to be the magic # .

but a high 40# caught post spawn was probably mid 50’s full of eggs .

last fall legit 60# fish were caught  , but those were egg laden fish .

IMO length and girth of a fish would give a little better idea to compare both spawned , and egg laden fish .

chesapeake fish are much shorter than the  Hudson strain fish , but almost always gave 25% larger girth and weigh more .

all those fish we used to catch at the Thunderbird in the High forties were probably mid 60’s just a few weeks before.

I also remember catching those giants on the oceanside...the rocks, off Deal, the Thunderbird, to name a few. It is crazy how a fishery can change so much in a few short years.

24 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I also remember catching those giants on the oceanside...the rocks, off Deal, the Thunderbird, to name a few. It is crazy how a fishery can change so much in a few short years.

Same thing that happened to stripers is going to happen to Massachusetts fluke , and Maryland’s blackfish .

guys chasing a trophy fish they can’t catch here go to where it’s easier .

and it’s thousands of guys doing .

want to catch a 10# fluke , you go to Nantucket or Montauk .

DD  blackfish , jump on down to Maryland .

For stripers it was VA . The winter fishery of egg laden cows made 50# fish a reality for thousands of anglers .

To the point they stopped even getting a legal weigh in during big $ tournaments.

Fisheries can’t handle that extra pressure 

With advancements in all the equipment today it’s made targeting big fish a lot less of a challenge .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING