IGNORED

OBX surf fishing

Bubblehead

I’ll be in the outer banks in mid May for a week and would like to get in some surf fishing while I’m there. Never fished the outer banks. Any one have any tips or info for that time of year down there? Best baits, rigs, whatever else I may need to know?

Should be able to get red drum in surf. They sell rigs and fresh mullet. A long light rod for casting 1/2 to 1  ounce metal for Spanish mackerel and small blues is a must. The point by Buxton Lighthouse is always best spot 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, Mr12gauge said:

When you get there go directly to the closest tackle shop and ask them. They will have everything you need to catch whatever is biting and they don't mind giving you information.

That’s a great idea. I’ll be in the 4 wheel drive section so hopefully there is a bait shop before I head up there

42 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

Should be able to get red drum in surf. They sell rigs and fresh mullet. A long light rod for casting 1/2 to 1  ounce metal for Spanish mackerel and small blues is a must. The point by Buxton Lighthouse is always best spot 

Fish finder rig for the reds?

As I am not a “local” to the OBX area, the times I’ve been down there, I would stop at the Red Drum Tackle Shop in Buxton, NC. The staff had always been friendly and freely gave local information. 

One time, the winds were real strong and the surf was not fish able for my fair weather self. The tackle shop directed me and my family onto a back bay location for crabs. Since we didn’t bring any crabbing equipment with us, we patronized the shop for our “souvenir” crabbing supplies.

We caught an incredible number of blue claw crabs that day- more than we could eat, so we played, “catch and release”. 

I’m actually going to be there in mid may as well. We have three charters booked for cobia as they typically come through that time of year. If you’re going to fish the buxton point, have a spinning rod ready with a buck tail jig on it, they can come in close and you can sight cast them. Red drum is a good tackle shop, there’s also a little hole in wall shop right in buxton next to the wings. Great guy, has one arm and will tell/sell you everything you need to know about what’s biting. 

Make sure you get your off-road permit, they will check you especially at the point. I wouldn’t bother with the Hatteras point, there’s almost no beach left to fish. There are some good ramps you can get on in Frisco across from rod and gun and Avon with some good Holes that hold fish. 

FYI the secret is out about the buxton point so be prepared for a lot of crowds. I honestly never fish there because of it. Good luck 

5 minutes ago, WVAhunter08 said:

FYI the secret is out about the buxton point so be prepared for a lot of crowds. I honestly never fish there because of it. Good luck 

That point has never been a secret. First fished there in 1984.  

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

That point has never been a secret. First fished there in 1984.  

I’ve been going there my whole life and there has never been crowds like there has been in the last five years. When the drum were running, yes, it was always mobbed but now mid to late summer it’s packed 

8 minutes ago, WVAhunter08 said:

I’ve been going there my whole life and there has never been crowds like there has been in the last five years. When the drum were running, yes, it was always mobbed but now mid to late summer it’s packed 

Agree but last two summers I been there were worst - probably due to Pandemic. Also last summer was worst fishing I ever seen there never caught a fish never saw a fish caught in sound or ocean 

I shot a big 10pt once….