IGNORED

2022 Garden Thread

10 hours ago, alabjr said:

This is something I definitely want to get into but have zero know-how. 

It is easy, but you can make it complicated.  Just like any other hobby.  Pick a sunny spot in your yard.  Turn the soil over with a spade.  Buy plants at your local nursery (tomatoes, eggplant, etc.).  You want to put them into the ground after the last frost, which is usually some time towards the end of April, beginning of May.  When you are at the nursery, ask them how far you should space the plants apart.  You can just jam them all in there.

Go out every day and check for weeds, pests, and look at all of the plants to see if the leaves are getting weird.  Water according to how each plant likes to be watered.

It won't go perfectly the first time, but if you stay on top of it and ask questions, you'll learn a lot and have a strategy for the next year.  Just like anything else.

You gotta' start somewhere, and often times starting is the hardest part.  But this is the place to ask questions, and you have plenty of time to ask them and plan for this year's harvest.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

20 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I think I am starting my celery from seed this weekend.  My wife wants me to grow some lemon balm around the patio to keep the bugs away, so that might go into the starter pots too.

Lemon balm will self seed and come up all over......the bugs may stay away from the lemon balm but anywhere else is questionable......

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

2 hours ago, MRMCR said:

Lemon balm will self seed and come up all over......the bugs may stay away from the lemon balm but anywhere else is questionable......

My wife wants it.  I can probably get a few extra days of hunting this fall if I plant it this spring. :) 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

21 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

My wife wants it.  I can probably get a few extra days of hunting this fall if I plant it this spring. :) 

If the seeds dont work out then well get together and Ill give you a few plants.....

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

• 4 weeks later...

I am building raised beds this year; four of them.  Got some pine cut at a lumber mill recommended by @LPJR.  Picked it up on Friday.  I had to finish it into 8' lengths, and did that today.  Assembled two of the four beds before I ran out of sunlight.

I'll be assembling the other two beds later this week.  I had one tomato seedling sprout so far.  Spring is here and the work begins!

IMG_1152.jpeg.4f44b32fad469d546ca05fca472dd4a0.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg.40897b7d5a2d68f6f9d8e54c522fe17e.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg.35cc800d7f0d6252540d9e09f7a5f346.jpeg

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

8 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I am building raised beds this year; four of them.  Got some pine cut at a lumber mill recommended by @LPJR.  Picked it up on Friday.  I had to finish it into 8' lengths, and did that today.  Assembled two of the four beds before I ran out of sunlight.

I'll be assembling the other two beds later this week.  I had one tomato seedling sprout so far.  Spring is here and the work begins!

IMG_1152.jpeg.4f44b32fad469d546ca05fca472dd4a0.jpeg

IMG_1153.jpeg.40897b7d5a2d68f6f9d8e54c522fe17e.jpeg

IMG_1154.jpeg.35cc800d7f0d6252540d9e09f7a5f346.jpeg

Tim I was you I would do 1.5-2 foot between beds so you can walk around them