IGNORED

Shad on fly?

Mallard1100

lot of great fly guys fishing for shad on the delaware.   when conditions are right, no other method can match their success.   

Need a spot where the slot they are swimming through is through the best part of your retrieve.  Sinking line/tips a must. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I just started fly fishing for Shad two years ago. I bought a sink tip line for my 7 weight. I should have bought a full sink. But I can tie flies like Crazy Charlie’s but in Shad colors (and not bonefish colors) and the lead dumbbell eyes will greatly help get them in the zone quicker. 

They are a great fighter on the fly rod. I have been very impressed. And I have @JHbowhunterto thank as he has been taking me.  I’ve been making long casts across the current, tossing one or two quick but giant mends to get line out and down, then just swinging through the strike zone. When they grab the fly, they tend to grab hard. 

2 hours ago, Mallard1100 said:

Anyone here ever fish for them with fly gear? Seems like they would be a blast if you can get the presentation right. I would assume sink tip or full sink lines are a must. Anyone? 

I used to do it a lot around the Bulls Island area but slacked for many years. About to start again this year. I use a 5wt switch rod which pretty much equates to a 7 wt standard outfit. Switch rod using Skagit heads makes reaching out without false casting a breeze. I prefer sink tips because I have much more control, use a short leader with weighted flys is key to getting down. To long a leader is counter productive with sink tip or full sinking lines. I will be doing some tying this weekend and will post a couple super simple patterns. Don’t need to be fancy for shad, just small stuff in a spectrum of colors

AWM

13 minutes ago, MGHunter66 said:

I used to do it a lot around the Bulls Island area but slacked for many years. About to start again this year. I use a 5wt switch rod which pretty much equates to a 7 wt standard outfit. Switch rod using Skagit heads makes reaching out without false casting a breeze. I prefer sink tips because I have much more control, use a short leader with weighted flys is key to getting down. To long a leader is counter productive with sink tip or full sinking lines. I will be doing some tying this weekend and will post a couple super simple patterns. Don’t need to be fancy for shad, just small stuff in a spectrum of colors

That’s probably the best outfit for Shad on big rivers like the big D. My two handed rods are too big for Shad, so I toss a 9’ for 7 weight.  If I got addicted, I’d go the switch rod route in a nano second.