IGNORED

Hunting state parks

AdultOnsetHunter

On 11/24/2021 at 8:24 AM, trapoholic said:

High Point has a special season.

On 11/24/2021 at 8:38 AM, Gobblengrunt said:

Its also open to winter bow

There's no deer there.  It's been over hunted and over crowded with out of state hunters, and the many bears there don't like people.

And the snow in January is 3' deep with temps being 0 to 18 below

Edited by Greybeard

1 minute ago, Swamprat said:

Once had an entire boyscout troop walk by. One kid spotted me. 15 yards away. 18' up.  Kids were fine. The leader was a doosh. He was shocked that I was bowhunting in October. Lol 

I was bringing up the rear on a hike with our troop and they all walked passed a turkey hunter without seeing him.  I just smiled at him and he smiled back.  If one of the kids was named Tom, he would have been Thanksgiving dinner

Definitely don’t be afraid to talk to non hunters on state land. I’ll ask them if I see them if and where they’ve seen any deer and I’ve had that pay off for me a few times. 
I’ve only had one issue on state land with a non hunter. There was a barn across the street that did horseback trail rides every day through the area I hunt. The deer were never bothered by the horses but the guy running the show made a huge stink about me being there. He would start yelling if he saw me “you can’t hunt here! I’m calling the cops on you!” Every time I saw him. Eventually I had enough and said one day “yknow what call the cops right now I’ll wait.” He never bothered me again after getting off the phone I guess realizing he was in the wrong this whole time and later told me that there was a big 10 point that he sees every now and again crossing the power lines trail (which I already knew as I had him on cams and seen him in person once) lol. If I see the guy now he just gives me a wave. 

7 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Buddy if you’re hunting in an area with walkers, hikers, etc they ain’t scaring nothing. If you think they only do it when you’re there you’d be mistaken. The deer have heard it before. Now if they’re hanging out right at prime time that won’t help but if that kept happening why not hunt somewhere else? You gotta consider why they’re all talking to you as well? They’re obviously seeing you, they weren’t looking for you, you may be too obvious imo. 

It's never when I'm in my spot. Just when I'm either heading in or out. I try not to choose spots too close to main trails. 

13 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Here’s something to think about? I always hunt like I’m trespassing. I’m real unobvious, I’d never park or access an area from a “public” area. Never relay or allow visual to what I’m doing. Public meaning lots of people btw.  
If someone sees you they could think you know something and “take your spot”. An anti could sabotage you. A thief could steal your items. 
Whenever I go in I park in really out of the norm places. Down the road and across street. If I was following something in say a rock wall or power line, I’d use something like the 4th stantion, break in the wall. Dead tree or big pine to turn. Or if place a tack its off some trail but it’d be on wrong side. I usually use no light. Onyx or hunt stand have gps and allow direction, if need be because of super dark I’ll refer to them to help get to stand. A light is another giveaway from a distance.  I actually haven’t placed a tack in years. It’s to you benefit in all ways to keep what you’re doing to your self. What would it take for one anti to slash your tire once you left? I put no stickers or hunt information on truck. Hide any cases, etc.  Everything looks like just a hiker unless I’m on a private area where it doesn’t matter as much. Even than it’s still beneficial to keep everything up yourself. Food for thought 

Definitely something that I have thought about. Ive used OnX since I started and love it. I see pins and ribbons around wma's and wonder why someone would want to lead someone to their areas. My suv is fairly inconspicuous and anything left inside is covered up.