IGNORED

Trout in pond all disappeared

formakos

I know there are some members here who are up to speed on ponds and trout.  I have a good friend in McKean County PA where my camp is located.  He has a spring fed pond in which he stocked 100 trout 5 yrs. ago.  50 bows and 50 brookies.  They all grew to trophy size fish.  This spring, they all disappeared.  No sign of predatory birds or animals.  Anyone have a good feel as to what may have happened to them???  He has re-stocked another 100 in the 6-7 inch range.  They are doing well.

you would have to look very close for mink or otter sign. not so much otter sign, but i am talking about slow looking. 

looks for slides. where otter are slidding into the pond. otter also throw up the fish scales. so look for chunks of piles of scales. although, trout dont have large scales. but its possible. 

Surprising thing about otters is they will travel overland.   years back, nys Opening day deer season, with 6 inches fresh snow, I'm walking to my stand in dark & see strange tracks that look like someone dragged a thick branch to make a line in the snow.  Forgot about it until a buddy mentioned he saw a couple of otters in the woods about 1/4 mile from pond on property

Edited by gregtpal