IGNORED

Snack Sticks

Hunter115522

I have some leftover ground venison from last year I want to get rid of, so I was thinking of trying snack sticks for the first time. My plan was to season, and marinate the meat, and add  some powdered cure I use for jerky. I have a jerky gun with different attachments coming from amazon today, I've never used one. A few questions I have are:

1- my ground has no added fat in it, is that ok, or should I add some pork fat?

2- can I do these at a low temp in my over, or should I use my dehydrator?

3- do I have to use casings, or will they be fine without?

4- how long will these last (shelf life) if I don't eat them all the first day?

Thanks guy, appreciate the help. Any other tips or tricks for making these things would be great.

2 minutes ago, Hunter115522 said:

I have some leftover ground venison from last year I want to get rid of, so I was thinking of trying snack sticks for the first time. My plan was to season, and marinate the meat, and add  some powdered cure I use for jerky. I have a jerky gun with different attachments coming from amazon today, I've never used one. A few questions I have are:

Thanks guy, appreciate the help. Any other tips or tricks for making these things would be great.

Definitely add fat. For my sticks I do a 70/30 mix. I have never done them in the oven but a lot of recipes call for the oven. I do all of mine in the smoker. I would use a casing as it hold the meat together better. As far as shelf life I vacuum seal them in bags of 5-10 to take to the stand with me. In the refrigerator you should get a couple of weeks. 

A099A530-7843-4A16-842E-34F1CCDFBCD1.jpeg

E67E4647-7B00-4AAB-A798-D8A015A107A1.jpeg

4FE935DD-A8D4-4ADC-BDB8-6C8F4792C9F7.jpeg

8539339D-E496-4C30-BBEE-1C4601670556.jpeg

19 minutes ago, BillW0323 said:

Definitely add fat. For my sticks I do a 70/30 mix. I have never done them in the oven but a lot of recipes call for the oven. I do all of mine in the smoker. I would use a casing as it hold the meat together better. As far as shelf life I vacuum seal them in bags of 5-10 to take to the stand with me. In the refrigerator you should get a couple of weeks. 

A099A530-7843-4A16-842E-34F1CCDFBCD1.jpeg

E67E4647-7B00-4AAB-A798-D8A015A107A1.jpeg

4FE935DD-A8D4-4ADC-BDB8-6C8F4792C9F7.jpeg

8539339D-E496-4C30-BBEE-1C4601670556.jpeg

They look great Bill, thanks for the info. Do you add just regular ground pork, or pork fat?

2 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

They look great Bill, thanks for the info. Do you add just regular ground pork, or pork fat?

I use pork loins , it’s a little more pricey but finish product is better .Are you using a Cure ??? And  If your stuffing don’t over stuff . when smoking low and slow 150 for an hour, add wood smoke 160 for 2 hours and 170-180 until internal temp is 153. You may want to add a water tray to add humidity and keep them from drying out . 

6 minutes ago, Nanuk said:

I use pork loins , it’s a little more pricey but finish product is better .Are you using a Cure ??? And  If your stuffing don’t over stuff . when smoking low and slow 150 for an hour, add wood smoke 160 for 2 hours and 170-180 until internal temp is 153. You may want to add a water tray to add humidity and keep them from drying out . 

Yes, going to use prague pink cure, the same stuff I use for my jerky

You asked about shelf life and I don't know the answer when using cure, but I make up to 30 lbs at a time and vacuum seal them and freeze them other than a couple of bags I know I'll eat right away.  Snack sticks never last long in our house or at hunting camp! 

10 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

I don't add fat.

I use my dehydrator.

I don't use casing.

If you vacuum seal them they will last at least a year.

So I did about 3lbs venison and about 3/4lb pork. I winged it with the seasoning, did a bunch of dry spices, along with some rum, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Letting it sit over night, and going to attempt to put them all together tomorrow. Doing this batch without casings. I'll update tomorrow when they're done.