IGNORED

Big Woods Trips?

Mallard1100

9 hours ago, DV1 said:

Was just up the golden road a few weeks ago grouse hunting. Not many birds this year but we saw deer cross the road in a few places...we have never seen deer cross the road, so you might be in for a better deer season this year.

Last winter was easy on Maine deer. We got more snow here in Sussex then they did. Actually they have had several mild winters. That combined with trappers taking more coyotes up there has helped. Hopefully the deer numbers will return to the levels they were back in the 1940-60's. Have you ever seen those old pictures with 12 hunters with 12 deer hanging!

21 hours ago, 20a said:

Will be spending a week upstate, near cooperstown, the second week of November. Can not wait.

I’ll be up a week from now for a long weekend through Halloween with the bow and back again for a long weekend for the rifle opener a few weeks later. Garrattsville near Cooperstown. 

13 hours ago, trapoholic said:

I will be heading up to Bingham Maine once again for the third week in November. Last November, I had a fleeting glimpse of the legendary Silver Ridge Bucks great grandson. Going up to hunt for him again soon! Can't wait!

100_1821.JPG

I hunted I that area also back in the early 1990's.  I used the railroad tracks as easy walking into the swamp.   We pulled 2 decent bucks out of there.  We did well with finding a scraped up area and hung treestands with good ole tinks 69.  

1 hour ago, Bucksnbows said:

I’ll be up a week from now for a long weekend through Halloween with the bow and back again for a long weekend for the rifle opener a few weeks later. Garrattsville near Cooperstown. 

Very nice, I am in the opposite direction. I will be in Richfield Springs, have a camp on Canadarago lake. I split my time between bowhunting my property & exploring exter state forest. Best of luck to you!

3 hours ago, 20a said:

Very nice, I am in the opposite direction. I will be in Richfield Springs, have a camp on Canadarago lake. I split my time between bowhunting my property & exploring exter state forest. Best of luck to you!

You too, 20a!  We now have two farms that almost touch except for route 16 between them.  One is 185 acres and the other is 112 acres.  Combo of farms and woods with a trout stream on the smaller farm (Butternut Creek).  None of us has hunted the new, 112 acre farm yet and it is loaded with standing corn still.   

4 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

You too, 20a!  We now have two farms that almost touch except for route 16 between them.  One is 185 acres and the other is 112 acres.  Combo of farms and woods with a trout stream on the smaller farm (Butternut Creek).  None of us has hunted the new, 112 acre farm yet and it is loaded with standing corn still.   

Oh yeah Butternut Creek I know it well. Here is a picture of my daughter with a trout she caught in the Public Access Section just north of Garrattsville along Rt 16. That was in the 1990s. I own 72 acres just off Rt 16 in that area.

A08215E5-D104-4E93-AA69-21B06F451910.jpeg

10 hours ago, Deerslayer21 said:

heading up to clinton County Pa. thanksgiving night for 6 days. I CAN NOT WAIT  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  its just nice to get away from the hustle and bustle for a few days....  

hope you have a bear tag that’s bear country! Gotta have a Clinton county corona while you’re there (keystone light with a lime in it) red neck style!

1 hour ago, OldPiney Woods said:

Oh yeah Butternut Creek I know it well. Here is a picture of my daughter with a trout she caught in the Public Access Section just north of Garrattsville along Rt 16. That was in the 1990s. I own 72 acres just off Rt 16 in that area.

A08215E5-D104-4E93-AA69-21B06F451910.jpeg

Very cool OPW!  I know the exact public access you are talking about. The new farm is hundreds of yards downstream is from there is all.  There is someone else from the forum that also hunts Garrattsville. Trying to remember who. 

Just returned from a successful Maine moose hunt . Wasn’t my hunt but my cousin was the sub-permittee , and went to be a support for them . We ended up shooting a bull on Friday last week at 7 am . 

I return the third week in November again as always for deer . We scouted many areas this year while looking for moose , that were loaded with good deer tracks , so we will be right back in those areas .