IGNORED

New Member - Ocean County

roadrunner440

Hello all.   I just joined - looking to learn more about hunting.  Over the Summer I was able to get my hunting permit (shotgun).  So far - I have not went hunting yet, and looking to learn.  I am hoping - at this time - to learn more turkey and deer.   However, bringing home a deer only for myself would be a waste of a deer as there is no way my family will eat a deer - at least not yet.

I am looking forward to learning, and hopefully learn.  I am better with my 308 than my shotgun, lol - But I know, NJ is Shotgun only and I am ready.

Anyone go to range 14 on Ft Dix?  Anyone hunting around Ocean County?

Welcome to the site! :welcome:

When you say you were able to get your shotgun permit over the summer, do you mean your shotgun license or are you talking about taking the shotgun hunter education course?  There are specifically shotgun "permits" which are Zone and DMZ specific for the special permit shotgun season.  Keep in mind that is different than your firearm license which allows you to hunt with the shotgun during 6-day firearm season (for deer), small game, etc.  However there are A LOT of regulations here in NJ, so be sure to read the Hunting & Trapping Digest cover to cover! :up:

If you have any questions along the way, post them up, lots of helpful members here will chime in and get you on the right track! :up:

Yes - thanks for giving the heads up on the over regulation in NJ.   I have not got any other pemit until I learn a bit more here - maybe if there are people wanting to show a newbi around a bit.  At this time I am not chomping to go out in NJ until I learn more.   For that matter I never even renewed my salt water license this year in NJ.   At this time I have the hunting permit over with - hopefully I will use it - but at this time I am not holding my breath.

Good points to know for someone new that we need permits for each zone, time, phase of moon etc...  Is anyone around Ocean Cty that goes hunting and would not mind someone new to this?

2 hours ago, Rusty said:

Welcome to the site RR.  The most important thing with learning to hunt is to enjoy the process.  Get out there and make lots of mistakes, that's how you learn.  The time spent in the woods and the experiences of being outdoors are more rewarding than the kill.  

make mistakes , but not with safety , safety first

17 hours ago, Rusty said:

Welcome to the site RR.  The most important thing with learning to hunt is to enjoy the process.  Get out there and make lots of mistakes, that's how you learn.  The time spent in the woods and the experiences of being outdoors are more rewarding than the kill.  

I agree - I am not gung ho to have to get a kill.   Mistakes - I am hoping to keep minimal.  however, reality there will be some.  Wanting to keep that minimal.

16 hours ago, jumpthestring said:

Taylor Ham or Pork Roll ? We need to know where you stand ?

Pork roll - Milltown / East Brunswick - and now further South.   Taylor ham is a brand name.  Like saying every Kleenex is a tissue or every crescent wrench is an adjustable wrench.    The age old oversalted - pork (can you call it that?)