IGNORED

Got my bow tuned up....getting the itch AND I am getting old!

nmc02

Never understood why people feel like when they drop from 70 to 60 that they are somehow "losing" something. Drop down to 50 if you need to - or even 40! If you want to keep using a compound but can't pull back 60, there is no shame in dropping it further.

I've been shooting my compound at between 45 and 49 pounds since I got it. Kills deer. I don't see a need to stress my arm/back/shoulder pulling back 60+ pounds (I don't think I could - I have bad hands and a left elbow that has been giving me trouble - me being a lefty, that's not good). But I feel perfectly fine and comfortable pulling back 49 pounds.

Now, I don't shoot past 25 yards (I will really try to keep my shots at 20 yards and in) - I'm just not that good any further out. So I don't need the speed that 60+ pounds would give me.

Point is - be honest with yourself and you'll be fine. Set the draw weight to one that you can comfortably pull back, and limit yourself to an honest effective range. If you have to drop it down to 45 and limit the range you will shoot, so be it. You'll still get the fun out of using a compound - it'll just be more of a challenge coaxing a deer inside 20 as opposed to inside 40 :) 

Been using the same PSE bow for 19yrs now. Started off back then at 70+lbs (think at some point it was ~76lbs). Hadn't bow hunted for a few years, and this year when strings were replaced I had it set at 56lbs. Sure it doesn't zip the arrows out for 40+yd shots like it used to, but then again the eyes now don't focus out as well for 40yd shots...lol

I can nail 25yd shots all day which is fine and hold it at full draw for extended times to get the best shot. Plus I find I can now take way more shots during practice without arms/shoulders groaning, and it's more comfortable to take accurate shots in non-standing positions (i.e. kneeling, sitting in chair, sitting on ground, etc.)

9 hours ago, nmc02 said:

Definitely can kill with 35 lbs or more...just shocked how hard it was to pull back my bow. Never struggled before....I am 45 this week. Elbow pain, etc. In the heat of the moment, no problem. Guess I was humbled today....often wonder why guys switch to a crossbow. Got my answer.

It’s has nothing to do with being old .

it’s lack of conditioning on your part .

only times the muscles get used to shoot a bow are actually shooting a bow or swimming .

pretty much everything else we do doesn’t work those muscles .

Shoot a few times over the next week and work those muscles and it will be easy again .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I have a bad shoulder and neck.   Dropped weight down to 49 lbs. 500 weight arrow and a 100 grain head. Got a pass threw at 23 yds no issue.  Have 20 30 and 40 yd pins.  Won’t shoot pass 30.  Todays technology  is far better than the 1980s  bear compounds I first started out with   My eyes r going just ordered on of the clarifier peeps looking forward to that   When I can no longer shoot vertical bow I’ll give up archery hunting  
We had an older archer in my club who just keep dropping poundage down to 35.5 then he quit shooting   Bows 
btw did take a 42 lbs bb off the ground with my fathers fiberglass 1958 semi recurve   So i get challenge and reward  nothing against xgun users but it’s not for me    

Are you sure you ordered the right peep verifier or clarifier?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cortisone shots are your friends sometimes. A couple of years ago after having my knee done again, the tendinitis hit me hard. I had 4 shots in both shoulders before NY gun season and then 4 more before NJ gun season. I knocked the shyzza out of my body through sports and woke up every day in pain. Now I wake up feeling the same but didn't play a game the night before. At the end of my career I got hurt getting into and out of an effin car

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

On 10/15/2021 at 6:44 AM, Foggy Mountain said:

I use cedar and a longbow, even less noise. Same token it’s not needed yet I love the way big shield cut feathers look. Guess it bring me back to childhood, the feather hiss is louder than the bow. 
As a kid i shot 90lb compounds, 75lb recurves. Mid 50s now yet still can shoot recurves/longbows in the 60s. My preference is closer to low to mid 50s as I can shoot all day. 
Good luck to the op

Just now, Recurve hntr said:
On 10/15/2021 at 6:44 AM, Foggy Mountain said:

I use cedar and a longbow, even less noise. Same token it’s not needed yet I love the way big shield cut feathers look. Guess it bring me back to childhood, the feather hiss is louder than the bow. 
As a kid i shot 90lb compounds, 75lb recurves. Mid 50s now yet still can shoot recurves/longbows in the 60s. My preference is closer to low to mid 50s as I can shoot all day. 
Good luck to the op

Expand  

I use to sit with my dad at the kitchen table across from each other. Both with bitzenburger fletching jigs , left wing helical turkey feathers . He step by step taught me how to fletch my arrows. Mounting the arrows with bear razors heads. He taught me how to heat the glue and spin them on the table so they would balance correctly. I still do it today. It makes me feel closer to him since he’s been gone. That’s the best part of archery season to me. If I kill a deer it’s an added bonus. Love the traditional hunting. To me it doesn’t get any better.

Good luck Nick.  How old is that bow that you need to shoot it at 68#?  You should be in the best shape of your life at 45.  What are you going to do when you really do get old, have someone crank your crossbow for you?  Just busting.  Good to see you're finally going to go out and hunt before it gets TOO COLD.

2 hours ago, Buck154 said:

Nice Nick. Good luck when you get out. You done going to Cape Cod for Tuna for the year?

Strange year everywhere....tuna fishing shut down up there and oddly enough, is better here. I am getting the itch. Cooling down and putting cameras out this week. I have a tree in my yard that tells me when it's time....leaves are thinning.

20211017_090417.jpg