Tell me about Saddle Hunting

Haven’t done it but it’s an interesting concept. Look up “g2 outdoors” on YouTube. I believe he is one of the owners of Tethrd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a tree climber .

hunted out of a saddle using a set of spikes for years Imo , there are too many times the deer come into a location where you can’t set up to shoot .

a platform or a ring of steps will  allow more range of motion  but a light stand allows much easier shooting with a bow .

if shooting a crossbow or a gun it has more merit .

There’s a ton of stuff out there. I have the phantom from Tethrd but heard great things about latitude and cruzr. I have a small platform and put my lone wolf sticks to my left (even with my platform) to “extend” my platform. I shot a buck last year on what people consider a “weak side” shot (right side of platform/tether as a right handed shooter).

I hunt public land and tend to try and go in as deep as possible and/or hunt near the hottest sign, so I like the mobility over a climber or a light lock on. I find it more comfortable but you need to dial it in to find the right spots for your gear. 

I think what I like best is how tucked in and camouflaged I can get with it while being able to shoot multiple shooting lanes. 

There’s definitely a learning curve and a system that you would have to get used to, though. 

4 minutes ago, VFL said:

There’s a ton of stuff out there. I have the phantom from Tethrd but heard great things about latitude and cruzr. I have a small platform and put my lone wolf sticks to my left (even with my platform) to “extend” my platform. I shot a buck last year on what people consider a “weak side” shot (right side of platform/tether as a right handed shooter).

I hunt public land and tend to try and go in as deep as possible and/or hunt near the hottest sign, so I like the mobility over a climber or a light lock on. I find it more comfortable but you need to dial it in to find the right spots for your gear. 

I think what I like best is how tucked in and camouflaged I can get with it while being able to shoot multiple shooting lanes. 

There’s definitely a learning curve and a system that you would have to get used to, though. 

sums it up perfectly

I started using one last year. I have a Cruzr S saddle with a Trophyline platform. Before settling in on that saddle I tried several of them and this one fit me best. As for the Trophyline platform it is about the biggest platform out there. I find that it helps me get shots at all angles. 

The biggest thing I noticed is how much better my lower back feels after several hours in the saddle. I have a bulging disc that acts up from uncomfortable tree stands. Do not have any troubles with a saddle. 

I was very skeptical when I first start using them. But I will say I am sold on there versatility. Being on public land I am a hang and hunt guy the saddle really lowers my mobile weight. 

I use the JX3 which is kind of 1/2 saddle and 1/2 treestand.  I love it.  I use it mainly with pre set sticks but do run and gun too.  I hunt with a xbow and gun and I really like being able to hide behind the tree trunk and just move out when I'm ready to shoot.  I haven't used my climber since I started saddle hunting (nor a hang on)

Edited by dlist777

Saddle Hunting is wherr its at.  Careful with videos on YouTube people do all kinds of crazy stuff that put them at a disadvantage.

If you set your saddle up right, you will always have the tree in front of you and always have a spot to hold your weapon.  There is no place a deer can go that you can't make a very stable shot.  However if the deer gets the jump on you..your movements are very restricted.  But this is true of any treestand also (imagine have to stand up and turn around for an off side shot and the deer is already 20 yards away in an open lane?

The only downside to saddle is that you can't really add or remove layers very easily.  You have to climb in what your gonna be wearing the whole time in regards to pants/bibs

Edited by splitrockoutdoors