IGNORED

Custom rod builds

So last weekend I was at a craft show with my wife. There was a guy selling custom rods. His build looked nice but nothing I would consider special.  Two questions:

1) would you buy a rod from a craft show.

2) what would you be willing to spend?

I thought it was a good idea, but you need someone who wants to spend some shillings on the whim. Also, he was very heavily geared towards tuna and big game fish. Narrowing his market pool even further. 

I asking because I have been building for a few years. So far I have only built for my personal use and a friend. I was wondering about building about a dozen light salt water rods. Hear them to fluke and back bay striper fishing. 

Does anyone  think this would be a good market to have a successful day at a flea market or show?

below are some builds. 

93E9B1EF-6450-424A-9EE2-AD51433C0281.jpeg

ACC106DC-E3F4-4F4C-9350-FB8F2A26142F.jpeg

E2B8CBAD-FE95-4C5A-87F4-36B035AC4DFA.jpeg

B52682B7-3F92-4E76-8364-94D8BF8CE83F.jpeg

CA3B6988-C1F3-437D-BCF3-85734AFB5E51.jpeg

You might be better off by offering builds to some hear making some but not alot of money.  With that said you could order cheaper blanks in bulk and mid range hard ware keeping total build under say 20 30 dollars.  Make the wraps nice and different designs and you would probly do well at flea markets selling for 40 to 60  If you attend the fishing flea markets you will have more of the clientele you are looking for and can use better blanks keeping build under 150 and sell for 225 to 300 and do well..  just my opinion I'm sure there will be others chiming in

codaboy builds rods. maybe he will have something to say to help you with your questions. 

i too have built rods, but only for my hobbie and myself. not sure what to tell you about building them and selling. but like vdep said, flea markets are a good start. 

i plan on a 1 or 2 builds this winter. its a fun hobbie and rewarding when you catch fish on the rods you built. much like making lures and tying flies. 

Thanks. I don’t have any pipe dreams of making rods for money. Ha. I love building them for me and building in general. So I figure if I can build them and maybe make a couple bucks. The. I got to build a lot of rods for fun. If that makes sense. I don’t need to make a bunch just cover the cost of material and some time. 

5 minutes ago, blackpowder said:

Thanks. I don’t have any pipe dreams of making rods for money. Ha. I love building them for me and building in general. So I figure if I can build them and maybe make a couple bucks. The. I got to build a lot of rods for fun. If that makes sense. I don’t need to make a bunch just cover the cost of material and some time. 

Same reason I reload and have certain people I shoot with tgat shoot them I shoot at a pretty lo cost for myself

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody really wants to pay. If you buy low end components. Then your selling junk. You buy hi end blanks and components you could be at 300$ with out figuring out your labor and how crazy do you want to get on the decorative wrap. I personally don't build in bulk. I build to order. Then you can work out the color scheme components and get a down deposit.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Codaboy said:

Nobody really wants to pay. If you buy low end components. Then your selling junk. You buy hi end blanks and components you could be at 300$ with out figuring out your labor and how crazy do you want to get on the decorative wrap. I personally don't build in bulk. I build to order. Then you can work out the color scheme components and get a down deposit.

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Thanks. I just really enjoy building them and I figure not trying to kill anyone either. I built my wife an awesome 8-17lb rod this year. It has caught stripers on the poppers. Cobia and flounder. Figured that might be in the ball bark of locals in south Jersey. 

3 minutes ago, blackpowder said:

Thanks. I just really enjoy building them and I figure not trying to kill anyone either. I built my wife an awesome 8-17lb rod this year. It has caught stripers on the poppers. Cobia and flounder. Figured that might be in the ball bark of locals in south Jersey. 

Many guys that are buying custom rods are looking for the wow factor , not plain Jane rods .

so much that  local custom builders don’t even entertain building a plain rod .

so there may be a spot in the market for you , as not everyone feels the need for fancy decorative wraps.

many fisherman want a rod that performs a certain way .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

3 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

Many guys that are buying custom rods are looking for the wow factor , not plain Jane rods .

so much that  local custom builders don’t even entertain building a plain rod .

so there may be a spot in the market for you , as not everyone feels the need for fancy decorative wraps.

many fisherman want a rod that performs a certain way .

Thanks man.