IGNORED

Pennsylvania rifle season help !

1 hour ago, JRL said:

Definitely something special about Pennsylvania deer season….Not sure which is better, the hunting or catching up with my childhood buddies at camp.  We’ve been hunting a family farm in Wayne County for almost 30 years.

During the earlier years when doe tags were issued for the opening week, we would see deer throughout the entire day.  All day sits couldn’t have been easier for me during that time.  I’ve shot two of my bigger bucks late morning ( 10:30 & 11:00 ), both were sneaking through trying to get around other hunters.  

Im eager to see if this year brings that back

1A47A698-2167-47B7-9984-5607BB5AE147.jpeg

E14BB7D7-0CF4-47F8-ACD4-0859A872AD94.jpeg

My place is also in Wayne County. This is the first year in I at least a decade that does can be shot legally on opening day...I am concerned it may hurt the population. 

15 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

My place is also in Wayne County. This is the first year in I at least a decade that does can be shot legally on opening day...I am concerned it may hurt the population. 

It’s been a long time since does are open on the opening day.  I understand your concern as you know I’m not to far from you and don’t see all that many deer let alone does to begin with.  

I do attribute a lot of it to the lack of hunters though.  The deer don’t really move too much cause they don’t really have to by me.  If I hear 10 shots all day on first day it’s a lot.  

I’m hoping with the does on the menu more people will be out and more shooting will occur to keep the deer moving all day long.  We put up a meat pole at the camp this year so I’m hoping to get some venison on it and some pictures for memories.  Good luck!

It was nice when doe season was wed,thurs,fri, the week after rifle.  Had the woods to myself and plenty of doe to hunt.  Since they opened doe during buck season the numbers went from seeing herds of 20-30 doe to occasionally seeing the same 3 doe for 2 weeks.  Even on the farm where we don't shoot does the numbers are 25% of what they used to be.  At least PA regulates it better than NJ and leaves enough to be hunted.

Edited by Greybeard

3 hours ago, JRL said:

Definitely something special about Pennsylvania deer season….Not sure which is better, the hunting or catching up with my childhood buddies at camp.  We’ve been hunting a family farm in Wayne County for almost 30 years.

During the earlier years when doe tags were issued for the opening week, we would see deer throughout the entire day.  All day sits couldn’t have been easier for me during that time.  I’ve shot two of my bigger bucks late morning ( 10:30 & 11:00 ), both were sneaking through trying to get around other hunters.  

Im eager to see if this year brings that back

1A47A698-2167-47B7-9984-5607BB5AE147.jpeg

E14BB7D7-0CF4-47F8-ACD4-0859A872AD94.jpeg

This looks like a Texas buck.

As stated go in early hunt all day and bring food.  8-9am you get the guys that are scared of the dark.  11am you get the guys that can't sit still and start to walk around or head back to cabin for lunch.  Around noon to 1pm guys are either heading back out or too antsy and start to walk round.  For these reason 10am-2pm is the magic times, at least for me.  Hunt where it's thick, when the shooting starts deer aren't running for the open areas.  Too many guys want to set up in spots were they can see 200 yards and if they see deer they're usually hauling ass and gone before they get their gun up.  In PA the more hunters the better.  As the first week goes on things slow down drastically.  Then it all starts all over the second week.  If you see does let them walk and more times than not there's going to be a buck in trail.  He might be the last in line or ten minutes behind.  The patient hunters get the bucks!  IMHO, I don't like the change back to being able to shoot does the first week, but then again if that's what people want to shoot then good for them, I'll sit and wait for some bone.  There is something special about hunting PA it's just a great place.  

• 2 weeks later...

Following this informative thread!

Went to high school in the Poconos and Pennsylvania deer huntin has a special place in my heart!  I havnt hunted it in years due to a WV deer hunt trip that has taken precedent for past 17 yrs. Although I think it’s time to get back to PA, especially to take my 15 yr old son who I bought a 35 Rem for him to go to WV with a few yrs ago but the invite from the landowner never genuinely materialized even though they preach about the importance of family hunting traditions. Very strange.  I have so far failed him at introducing him to the big woods/deer camp experience and he is at a critical age to get this done. Hope I can make it happen!

in any event…I have always heard Potter is God’s Country and want to check it out!!  Also might be able to hook up w a few High School buddies for a spot in Pocono area. 

To me.  There’s nothing quite like it!  Been hunting in NJ now for 5 years since I moved across the river.  But going home each fall to spend time with friends and family to hunt the mountains of home holds one of the most special places in my heart.  I hope one day I can have my kids join me and to show them hunting isn’t always about killing the biggest buck in the county but also about the brotherhood and the memories made along the way with the people you care about.

As stated go in early hunt all day and bring food.  8-9am you get the guys that are scared of the dark.  11am you get the guys that can't sit still and start to walk around or head back to cabin for lunch.  Around noon to 1pm guys are either heading back out or too antsy and start to walk round.  For these reason 10am-2pm is the magic times, at least for me.  Hunt where it's thick, when the shooting starts deer aren't running for the open areas.  Too many guys want to set up in spots were they can see 200 yards and if they see deer they're usually hauling ass and gone before they get their gun up.  In PA the more hunters the better.  As the first week goes on things slow down drastically.  Then it all starts all over the second week.  If you see does let them walk and more times than not there's going to be a buck in trail.  He might be the last in line or ten minutes behind.  The patient hunters get the bucks!  IMHO, I don't like the change back to being able to shoot does the first week, but then again if that's what people want to shoot then good for them, I'll sit and wait for some bone.  There is something special about hunting PA it's just a great place.  
Get in before sun up and your buck will be down by 8:30.
You'll be home by noon!
No deer in the Poconos, stay in Jersey!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk