IGNORED

Oak Tree Question???

paposse48

I frequent an area in the pines z23 that has a few large white oak trees. Fairly far off the beaten path. Should be a slam dunk right? Problem is they have produced very few acorns or any at all some years. The trees appear to be in good condition, but I am no tree expert. Anyone have any ideas on something that can possibly be done to help them along?? Fertilizer? ETC.... dont want to hump in bags of Fertilizer or anything if its not worth it.

You can definitely help the tree with fertilizer . You can use 13-13-13 fert in the spring or if it’s a long hike in you could get the fertilizer spikes you hammer in the ground .  No guarantees it’s going to work and it may take several years to get things going .  Some good info online , check it out . Could turn into a honey hole . 

Quercus Alba, the white oak, is not a year after year consistent producer.  But given that it’s acorns have far less tannic acid in them, they are eaten first by our deer. Once they are eaten or sprout, the deer switch to other acorns such as red oaks. Red oak acorns have higher tannins which allows them to not rot until spring when they sprout. White oaks sprout between now and first heavy frosts. 

You can add fertilizer in spring, but don’t expect miracles. I manage the few I have in Sparta by doing crown releases which simply means killing (by either girdling or outright cutting them down) the trees next to the white oaks to allow them more room to grow a large crown. But warning: the trees will spend five or more years growing more branches and not producing acorns. So crown release is more of a long term strategy versus things like fertilizer. 

White oaks produce best with age 50- 100 years old . Can produce earlier with ideal conditions . My sister has a white oak in her front yard that produces almost every year . The only reason I can think of is because of fertilizing the lawn several times a year .   The tree has no competition with other trees like a white oak in a forrest situation would also .  

5 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

Pin oaks are in the red oak family. Deer eat all acorns, but prefer white oak when they can find them. 

True for the most part .

but I def have pin oaks that draw deer as fast or  faster than the local whites ..

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/