IGNORED

Goodbye my friend...you didn't deserve this...

Swamp_Yankee

So sorry for your loss .  This is always the worst part of owning a pet, regardless how they passed.   

Like others say, don't be to hard on yourself,  this was a fluke that it happened.  Just think of all the other times nothing happen .  You let them out to do their business  almost 4,500 times without any issues, they had a routine that they probably loved.   

7 minutes ago, Jerzguy2 said:

So sorry for your loss, I know that feeling .  I lost my last Brittany on the road in front of my house and didn't get another dog for 20 years because of it. It really bothers me at the ridiculous speed that most people drive on these county roads in Hunterdon, no chance to stop if you have to. 

Thank you all for your responses.  It has helped me some.  With regard to the drivers on the county roads I understand what you're saying but I don't fault the driver.  I don't know who it was.  They did at least try to notify someone-the neighbor whose house I found him in front of heard her doorbell ring about 15 minutes before I got there but she lives alone and was too afraid to answer (it was ten to six in the morning and pitch black)-she only came out after she heard me breaking down and I identified myself.  He was placed neatly at the foot of her driveway and his collar was removed which tells me they were looking for a tag which he did not have on at the time.  I feel terrible that my actions not only resulted in the death of my dog, but also a terrible trauma to another person who probably couldn't have avoided it.  He was a dark brown dog on the road on a pitch black morning.  Whoever you are, I'm deeply sorry, and I appreciate what you tried to do for my boy.  

I live back in the woods you see

My woman and the kids and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun a rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive

1 hour ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Thank you all for your responses.  It has helped me some.  With regard to the drivers on the county roads I understand what you're saying but I don't fault the driver.  I don't know who it was.  They did at least try to notify someone-the neighbor whose house I found him in front of heard her doorbell ring about 15 minutes before I got there but she lives alone and was too afraid to answer (it was ten to six in the morning and pitch black)-she only came out after she heard me breaking down and I identified myself.  He was placed neatly at the foot of her driveway and his collar was removed which tells me they were looking for a tag which he did not have on at the time.  I feel terrible that my actions not only resulted in the death of my dog, but also a terrible trauma to another person who probably couldn't have avoided it.  He was a dark brown dog on the road on a pitch black morning.  Whoever you are, I'm deeply sorry, and I appreciate what you tried to do for my boy.  

I know you posted yesterday that today is your birthday. I know it’s not happy one.  Your buddy lived a happy 13 yrs doing what he loved to do. Going out in the morning smelling everything around. You obviously have a large yard. That’s a dog heaven. You gave him a wonderful life. I totally understand how yo feel. Please don’t beat yourself up . Your never gonna know why your pup went out in the road. Don’t question it. My daughter is trying to make me a Godly man. I told her the story . She said God needed Hank with him! My remi died and I said well I needed him with me. She said God has better plans for him.  So anyway I m just trying to tell you it’s not your fault. Your pup did what made him happy. God bless hank and your family.

Sorry for your loss.  It's always hard dealing with a loss like this especially when unexpected.  If you and your family are having a tough time there are resources for grief counseling for pet loss.  Not sure where your at but the Karen Quinlan house has a support group and Abby Glen offer pet loss support.

image.png