IGNORED

Deer Tracker Darren

Deer Tracker Darren

I got a call from a hunter that hit a deer back. They were afraid of rain so they let the deer sit for 5 hrs before they went to look. They found some blood and advanced the line to an old railroad track. Here’s where they lost it and quit.

I started Theo at the hit site and he had to work it a bit to get going. The deer actually left the way we walked in so we trampled the track somewhat.

Theo grabbed the line and pretty soon we were at the tracks. Theo went over and started searching up and down the opposite side, picked a run and went into the scrub. I marked a spot of blood and felt good about the way Theo was tracking .We got about 50 yds into this mess and I couldn’t see the dog but it was apparent he was doing a lot of circling in this area. I parked the hunter here and after a bit he pulled a line out and ended up on an old abandon blacktop parking lot. He went across and to a 6 ft chain link fence. My truck was right there. Theo stopped and looked into a catch basin. I just didn’t think this was right so I picked him up and brought him back to my mark in the scrub.

I set him down and he ran me as fast as I could walk right back to the fence. This time on the way out I saw a drop of blood on an oak leaf and knew he was right. When he shows me this kind of behavior I know he knows what he’s looking for and I never question him again on the track.

I call the hunter up and Theo is tracking in the grass between the curb and the fence right towards the truck. We get to the end of the fence and Theo goes around. Now he’s on sugar sand heading for piles of garbage dumped by this lot. There a slight berm there and he tracks to it. I can now see that is a little ditch with a trickle of water in it.

I though this is just what I’m looking for. Theo is tracking down the center and I see something up ahead. I didn’t want to call out yet because I thought it might be an old piece of carpet. In a few more steps I could see the deer’s head and I knew we had him. I called out we gottem and I could almost hear the sigh of relief from the hunter behind me. This was a narley old pine deer and there’s nothing better as a dog handler to hear from a hunter “ I would have never found this deer without your dog’’. This deer actually died about 70 yds from the truck in a direction the hunter said he would have never looked.

#18 10 4 21.jpg