IGNORED

Do you over scope?

Godly70

Do you really need a Swarovski Z8i 2.3-18x56 - 4A-I 68401 to hunt deer on 200 acres in East Texas? I sighted in a buddy's rifle yesterday. The scope cost 8x what the rifle cost. I have to say it is nice. I might get me one. I need to by a .50 BMG first.

My 2 cents. A $200 scope today is better than a $600 scope that was purchased 20 years ago (so adjusted for inflation, it's a $2,000 scope).

My PH in South Africa had a Zeiss scope on his rifle. The gun and scope looked pretty old. The scope really sucked. Much worse than all of my scopes in terms of clarity and eye relief and I never spend over $200. 

Edited by archer36

20 minutes ago, archer36 said:

My 2 cents. A $200 scope today is better than a $600 scope that was purchased 20 years ago (so adjusted for inflation, it's a $2,000 scope).

My PH in South Africa had a Zeiss scope on his rifle. The gun and scope looked pretty old. The scope really sucked. Much worse than all of my scopes in terms of clarity and eye relief and I never spend over $200. 

for $200 scope to get to $2000 in 20 years the inflation rate would have to be at 12.25%

38 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

for $200 scope to get to $2000 in 20 years the inflation rate would have to be at 12.25%

OK, so you figure it out for me. I'm not splitting hairs here, just making a point.  You don't think guns, and other sporting equipment hasn't increased more than groceries?  This past year alone I would think these items have gone up around 30%.

Edited by archer36

Over priced and over magnification are two different issues.... quality glass at an appropriate price and matching the conditions of the hunt to the appropriate magnification is what you should strive for. No need for a 6x24x56 for shotgun hunting in nj

1 minute ago, Rem Mag said:

Over priced and over magnification are two different issues.... quality glass at an appropriate price and matching the conditions of the hunt to the appropriate magnification is what you should strive for. No need for a 6x24x56 for shotgun hunting in nj

It's kind of relative. 

I believe you should get the BEST GLASS you can afford, BUT if you cheap out on the rifle your wasting your money on good glass.

Edited by bushden
spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL