IGNORED

rifle calibers for hunting?

1 hour ago, Silver Belly62 said:

Start buying ammo now as you may have enough when you need it lol

That's some good advice right there! Although... I think I'll hold off in the hopes that in a year or two ammo prices will go down from outrageous to merely exorbitant.

I've shot both a .308 and a 30-06 and there's some recoil to them. Both are readily avail ( if you know where to look ). I'm waiting on an estate to be settled for a Ruger predator .243. For my birthday I'm getting a scope saddle mount for my browning bps 12 gauge. I want to sight in with slugs and see how the shotgun performs. If it sucks I'll put the scope on another rifle.

Not trusting the government doesn't make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a history buff

The 270 offers ammo from 130 to 150 grain   with around 5 lbs less recoil then the o6:up:
The .270 is a medium case, not a magnum sized one.
I wanted to rebarrel a Rem 700 30.06 with a .338 barrel- 30.338.
Here you are talking about 5lbs. Less recoil...
The Short action cartridges worked before the marketing came into play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

On 10/5/2021 at 12:19 PM, BCsaw said:

The .270 is a medium case, not a magnum sized one.
I wanted to rebarrel a Rem 700 30.06 with a .338 barrel- 30.338.
Here you are talking about 5lbs. Less recoil...
The Short action cartridges worked before the marketing came into play.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

A lot depends on your definition.  I consider the 25-06, the .270 and also the .243 to be magnum calibers because each of them is a small diameter bullet stuffed into a  necked dowbn, large diameter bullet casing.   

Magnum = large bottle... is the classic definition and to me, each of the above qualifies since the case is definitely oversize.  

Incidentally the .243 is the sweetest shooting gun I own.  I bought a Ruger varmint model with a bull barrel and can drive tacks with it ...and I ain't the world's best shot.  I do not recommend it for deer because, even with 100 grain bullets, unless you get a good hit,  the deer can travel.   I found that out the hard way.  when the deer took a step and the bullet hit front leg bone.  

RayG

2 hours ago, Raygubernat said:

A lot depends on your definition.  I consider the 25-06, the .270 and also the .243 to be magnum calibers because each of them is a small diameter bullet stuffed into a  necked dowbn, large diameter bullet casing.   

Magnum = large bottle... is the classic definition and to me, each of the above qualifies since the case is definitely oversize.  

Incidentally the .243 is the sweetest shooting gun I own.  I bought a Ruger varmint model with a bull barrel and can drive tacks with it ...and I ain't the world's best shot.  I do not recommend it for deer because, even with 100 grain bullets, unless you get a good hit,  the deer can travel.   I found that out the hard way.  when the deer took a step and the bullet hit front leg bone.  

RayG

I'm not a fan of a .243 in any big woods, and it certainly ain't no magnum

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

1 hour ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Look up ballistics, 30/06 and 270 are almost the same thing. Yea the 06 has more variations in projectiles but you’re not really gonna shoot anything but mid weight rounds anyhow. You’ve got three decent choices. I’d personally prob pick between the 2 and forget the 308. Just preference 

Which .270?

My Weatherby .270 Magnum has much different ballistics than a standard .30-06.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

1 minute ago, Foggy Mountain said:

I can post bullet drop charts too but all almost same. As stated not worth worrying over and all more than enough for a first standard gun. I say that as he’s not specializing for say big brown bear or African game. 

I already posted a chart on page two, like I said earlier would'nt waste much time on what caliber but what gun would be the bigger decision. This post is getting like watching a dog chase his tail:doh2:

Edited by bucky