Bad shots bad habits some need discipline

smoking gun

1 minute ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

People take crappy shots more often than not.  I harvested an 8-pointer a few years ago with an arrow sticking out of its shoulder.  Butchers regularly pull more than one broadhead out of deer each season.  It takes a very mature hunter to take a good shot.  A mature hunter would rather let a deer walk because they didn't have an ethical shot than to release a Hail Mary arrow.

I've never lost a deer, and I've only lost one turkey.  I felt like crap for not recovering the turkey, and I lost it due to poor shot placement.  I won't take a shot if I don't have a clean and guaranteed quick kill shot.

I'd like to think bad shots are rare, but I've pulled arrows out of deer I've harvested.  I think it happens more than anyone would admit.

How many deer have you shot?

6 hours ago, flukebelly said:

Sweeping generalization! One of the most uniformed statements I’ve heard on this site …and there are plenty. 

One example:

“Gut shot, give it 8 hours…” . Yes, thats the standard protocol. “If its late that evening, back out until morning”. We hear that all the time. 

Do you know how far a deer can travel in that time? What kind of jungle they can get into? Yes, usually they bed up, BUT NOT ALWAYS. I personally have never seen any deer do exactly what another deer has done when shot. I’ve blown out heart shots and had the smallest deer make a death run over 100 yds, while also making the same shots on 180lb plus deer that dropped like i cut their legs off.

how can you make your statement without knowing any other hunters situation, shot choice, intention, location, etc.

just a bad comment all around.

Hows that a bad comment?anyone who hunts whether bow shotgun muzzleloader rifle should know their comfort zone and like I posted alot has to to with discipline which in turn usually means restraint.we came along way with technology in archery for example we all can shoot tight groups at 40 50 60 yds all day at the range it doesnt mean you can pull it off in the woods its totally different.we all will miss lose deer at times this is true but I feel this way even from the old site from many post way back years everyone wants that instant gratification they want to be that one posting asap they got one before they even got out the tree.now the past several seasons they made it legal to use the dog great thats good we don't want deer going to waste.but at the same time I know for a fact alot of lost or bad hit deer is bad marksmanship bad judgment on range not practicing enough not even having a fine tuned bow.we all as a group shouldn't even consider shooting any game animal unless we are 99.99 % sure its going down and fast.i hear about heart lung hits it didn't bleed not a good trail blah blah blah thats bogus.know your equipment and limitations.any deer hit in the heart or lungs with a well sharped broadhead isn't going anymore then 30 yds.period we all have the internet and a ton of info at our fingertips its not like guys gals are clueless to these scenarios its there in bold writing how much time to give the animal the anatomy for proper shot placement we all have even given equipment ratings.i just feel with all this modern day stuff you hear more and more about the dogs being utilized its like a crutch (oh that buck id at 50 im shooting a 3 inch blade ill hit em in the ass we will get em with the dog instead of restraining and just letting em go)

6 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

People take crappy shots more often than not.  I harvested an 8-pointer a few years ago with an arrow sticking out of its shoulder.  Butchers regularly pull more than one broadhead out of deer each season.  It takes a very mature hunter to take a good shot.  A mature hunter would rather let a deer walk because they didn't have an ethical shot than to release a Hail Mary arrow.

I've never lost a deer, and I've only lost one turkey.  I felt like crap for not recovering the turkey, and I lost it due to poor shot placement.  I won't take a shot if I don't have a clean and guaranteed quick kill shot.

I'd like to think bad shots are rare, but I've pulled arrows out of deer I've harvested.  I think it happens more than anyone would admit.

Exactly 

15 hours ago, hammer4reel said:

I think more guys have done this than will admit .

IMO I would rather share the woods with a proficient xbow shooter than a non proficient purist shooting a stick bow .

all bows require practice to remain proficient and in today world many just don’t have that time .

a crossbow allows less practice to be needed and allows quick humane kills on game .

‘Those who have the time to shoot a lot will always find some satisfaction from using the harder equipment , and that’s great too .

I have done it. After many years of bow hunting I grew tired of shooting. There were better and more urgent and more fun things to do. Crossbow is much easier and what’s wrong with that? 

17 hours ago, electric10162 said:

My two cents.......

I believe MOST hunters do the right thing in regards to the proficiency with their equipment, shot, and recovery. On the other hand, I'm sure there are hunters who do not have any tracking skills, either not taught or need help. That group can use our help and guys on here are always helping others. The small percentage that doesn't care or brown is down is what ruins the sport for all of us.

I think dog trackers are awesome to assist in a rough spot. And i agree, i feel that more than ever - The majority of NJ Hunters do the right thing and follow the rules & regulations, and have all good intentions. But even when the majority is doing what's right - there's still that percentage of hunters that will shoot from 40,50,60 yards no matter what - these guys are probably the jackasses stealing trail cams and stands too

6 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

I think dog trackers are awesome to assist in a rough spot. And i agree, i feel that more than ever - The majority of NJ Hunters do the right thing and follow the rules & regulations, and have all good intentions. But even when the majority is doing what's right - there's still that percentage of hunters that will shoot from 40,50,60 yards no matter what - these guys are probably the jackasses stealing trail cams and stands too

I shoot 40 and 50 yards and I have never stolen anything. How far you shoot has nothing to do with being ethical or not. Having the confidence and ability to make the shot does, at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 

@smoking gun-- I think the system has a built in safety that guys are not going to use the dog as a crutch. For instance, when the tracker arrives you give him your CID number, place a dot where you shot the deer on a form and I believe they log the distance you shot, broadhead, etc. So it is all recorded. If you think Darren or any other deer tracker is going to waste their time repeatedly going out for the same guy you are wrong. The tracker has to call in their location and time of tracking started as well. It is not call a tracker and a guy shows up and says show me where you shot the deer and off you go. It is a detailed report. So I do not see guys trying to use it as a crutch. But with or without a dog these same guys will always take questionable shots. Thankfully, it is a small percentage imo. I think we lose more deer because of hitting limbs because we do not trim lanes.  

I don’t take any shot unless I feel comfortable it is fatal.  In my time archery hunting no deer has went further then 20 yds and piled up.  That being said sometimes what we see isn’t always what it is and situations don’t always play out as they were thought to.  Everyone makes mistakes that’s life.  I think the dogs are good so a good deer won’t go to waste.  I haven’t used one but I would if I was in the situation where I felt like I needed to. Just my two cents.

Once again your last response simply shows your ignorance of the topic.

your first quote about a lung or heart shot deer only going 30 yds…bull ! I wish you would get all the deer together and read them that rule.

your last quote about guys taking 50yard shots and hitting them in the ass purposely , knowing that they can call in a dog  REALLY screams ignorance. 

Do you know anything at all about these dogs and their handlers?!!! If you did then you would know that a handler wont bring a dog out to a deer kill unless they are almost positive that the deer can be recovered. You will be interviewed first about shot placement, blood, the enviornment ( rivers , swamps, homes ,etc) , did you contaminate the general area…. Then they decide to come or not. These dogs are highly specialized and will lose interest in tracking if they don’t find the deer. After a few loses the dogs regress and wont work as hard after that. A handler will not waste his/her time on an (ASS SHOT ) deer. The deer at the end of a track is the reward for the dog. No reward and the dogs become less effective. The use of these dogs is not for wounded deer: its for finding deer and bear that were mortally hit and are too hard to find usually due to terrain or weather.

have you ever hunted in a swamp? Fragmities, knotweed? Thick laurels? A mortally hit deer can and will go into the nastiest cover it can make it to. SOMETIMES THERE IS LITTLE OR NO BLOOD . As i stated before no 2 deer die the same way.

where are you drawing your info from ? I personally have shot hundreds of deer and the hunters i hunt with …all of our deer would add up into the thousands. We all to a man would disagree with many of your statements. 

To say that TOO MANY hunters are just taking random shots is again just a sweeping generalization on your part. Where do you draw your opinions from? Have you interviewed the vast majority of hunters in the state? How many were purposely bad shots verses an unfortunate poor hit? WE ALL HAVE MADE A BAD HIT if you have shot enough deer. Even the best shooters in the world miss once in a while. I’ve seen Levi Morgan and Dan McCarthy make horrible shots in competition and the targets are static , unmoving, pieces of foam ! Do you mean to say that in a real hunting situation things cant go wrong ! They do , and if you spoke from experience rather than conjecture , you would have a much better point.

This post should really just be removed…its worse than “fake news”

Edited by flukebelly

6 minutes ago, flukebelly said:

Once again your last response simply shows your ignorance of the topic.

your first quote about a lung or heart shot deer only going 30 yds…bull ! I wish you would get all the deer together and read them that rule.

your last quote about guys taking 50yard shots and hitting them in the ass purposely , knowing that they can call in a dog  REALLY screams ignorance. 

Do you know anything at all about these dogs and their handlers?!!! If you did then you would know that a handler wont bring a dog out to a deer kill unless they are almost positive that the deer can be recovered. You will be interviewed first about shot placement, blood, the enviornment ( rivers , swamps, homes ,etc) , did you contaminate the general area…. Then they decide to come or not. These dogs are highly specialized and will lose interest in tracking if they don’t find the deer. After a few loses the dogs regress and wont work as hard after that. A handler will not waste his/her time on an (ASS SHOT ) deer. The deer at the end of a track is the reward for the dog. No reward and the dogs become less effective. The use of these dogs is not for wounded deer: its for finding deer and bear that were mortally hit and are too hard to find usually due to terrain or weather.

have you ever hunted in a swamp? Fragmities, knotweed? Thick laurels? A mortally hit deer can and will go into the nastiest cover it can make it to. SOMETIMES THERE IS LITTLE OR NO BLOOD . As i stated before no 2 deer die the same way.

where are you drawing your info from ? I personally have shot hundreds of deer and the hunters i hunt with with all add up into the thousands. We all to a man would disagree with many of your statements. 

To say that TOO MANY hunters are just taking random shots is again just a sweeping generalization on your part. Where do you draw your opinions from? Have you interviewed the vast majority of hunters in the state? How many were purposely bad shots verses an unfortunate poor hit? WE ALL HAVE MADE A BAD HIT if you have shot enough deer. Even the best shooters in the world miss once in a while. I’ve seen Levi Morgan and Dan McCarthy make horrible shots in competition and the targets are static , unmoving, pieces of foam ! Do you mean to say that in a real hunting situation things cant go wrong ! They do , and if you spoke from experience rather than conjecture , you would have a much better point.

This post should really just be removed…its worse than “fake news”

I agree with you 100 percent but do believe the availability of the use of dogs caused another problem.  The loss of an art tracking.  I remember being a kid and learning to track not by blood alone but broken branches over turned leaves can't tell you how many deer I've found for myself and friends just by following hoof prints.

When I was very active with hunter Ed I made blood trails as realistic as possible even had a hoof on stick to make prints now they don't even do it at class.  If a new hunter now looses blood they just call the dog.  I just think the skill of tracking a wounded animal should be learned  but maybe I'm just thinking in old ways n need to embrace change

Edited by vdep217