IGNORED

Bad shots bad habits some need discipline

smoking gun

I know ima rattle some folks cage and its not deliberate but its a huge piece of advice and from my years of experience.what is up with all the dog tracking,? guys relying on the dogs?I think alot of guys need to exercise discipline and choose their shots more wisely.its like anymore people feel that  the dog handlers are just a crutch for poor judgment guys owe it to the animal to make the ideal shot with less error for a clean quick kill.that is in the commandments of bowhunting.its an omen not to have discipline theres many times I got to let a buck walk because he isn't angled right or just too far out of my comfort zone.i can shoot with the best of them and still to this day since the early 80s I keep it within 30 yards and as a rule of thumb WHEN IN DOUBT GET OUT.you dont see that deer fall or hear it crash give em a hour or 2 if its a paunch hit give em 8 hours a liver hit give em 6 hours.dont use the dogs as a crutch for bad judgment 

i don't think anyone is using dogs as a crutch, but I agree - too many take really piss poor bad shots or get too rattled to make a good shot. If you are shaking and can't calm down - DO NOT SHOOT.  If you are pushing the envelope on your comfort range - DO NOT SHOOT.  If the deer is not presenting an optimal angle - DO NOT SHOOT.  

I think the dogs thankfully, are recovering all the deer the otherwise would have been lost - the good work they do is NOT promoting bad shots at all just closing the gap for those that screw up and some continually screw up and should not be in the woods. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

i don't think anyone is using dogs as a crutch, but I agree - too many take really piss poor bad shots or get too rattled to make a good shot. If you are shaking and can't calm down - DO NOT SHOOT.  If you are pushing the envelope on your comfort range - DO NOT SHOOT.  If the deer is not presenting an optimal angle - DO NOT SHOOT.  

I think the dogs thankfully, are recovering all the deer the otherwise would have been lost - the good work they do is NOT promoting bad shots at all just closing the gap for those that screw up and some continually screw up and should not be in the woods. 

Wish I could agree but I don’t .

too many guys first call is to a dog handler . Many think all they need to do is draw blood and the dog will find them .

the service guys get from. The dog handlers is GREAT , but it should not be the norm 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

4 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

You worded it better for me thank you handsome father of the 10pt lovechild

Pete - would be nice to hear @Deer Tracker Darren weigh in on this.  His dogs have probably recovered more "lost" deer than any others over the past 20 years.    Darren - do you think guys are using it as a crutch / first option - or are they doing all they can to make good shots and thier own recoveries?  You have probably seen it all from the most responsible, ethical hunters to the extremely bad ones that just let it fly and hope for the best then have no clue what to do other than to call you. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

Without question, the deer tracking dogs are a tremendous asset to have when it's needed.  I do agree I read A LOT of posts of guys using dogs.   The question is, how many times is it really needed versus the hunter learning/understanding blood trailing rather than immediately calling the dog in.  Hoping @Deer Tracker Darrencan answer @JHbowhunter 's question given his experience.

In my younger years most of my free time was spent tuning and shooting my compound bow.  It was an obsession.  As I got older I no longer had the time or desire to do.  My shooting proficiency dropped off quickly.  I still loved bow hunting, but I didn't think it was right to be taking half-assed shots at deer.  So, I switched to a crossbow.

27 minutes ago, barrike said:

In my younger years most of my free time was spent tuning and shooting my compound bow.  It was an obsession.  As I got older I no longer had the time or desire to do.  My shooting proficiency dropped off quickly.  I still loved bow hunting, but I didn't think it was right to be taking half-assed shots at deer.  So, I switched to a crossbow.

Not saying you as I can tell you care by the way you used to be with your bow but some use an excuse to shoot 50 60 70 yrds at deer.  Granted it can be done as it can with a compound but the individual needs to practice at those ranges not just think it a cross bow shoot it once n say I'm good.  Even shots that are and seem perfect may need a dog.  I got lucky and found this doe 347 yrds from hit.  Still to this day can't figure why.  I didn't use a dog but would have saved me time

Screenshot_20181009-141959_Web Browser.jpg

31 minutes ago, barrike said:

I think more guys have done this than will admit .

IMO I would rather share the woods with a proficient xbow shooter than a non proficient purist shooting a stick bow .

all bows require practice to remain proficient and in today world many just don’t have that time .

a crossbow allows less practice to be needed and allows quick humane kills on game .

‘Those who have the time to shoot a lot will always find some satisfaction from using the harder equipment , and that’s great too .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

6 minutes ago, hammer4reel said:

I think more guys have done this than will admit .

IMO I would rather share the woods with a proficient xbow shooter than a non proficient purist shooting a stick bow .

all bows require practice to remain proficient and in today world many just don’t have that time .

a crossbow allows less practice to be needed and allows quick humane kills on game .

‘Those who have the time to shoot a lot will always find some satisfaction from using the harder equipment , and that’s great too .

Spot on Dan.we can't sham anyone for what they wanna use as long as its legal 

All ages miss the mark even with a crossbow.  This young man may never had been able to recover his first buck without the help of his dad and their dog.Congratulations guy's:up:

https://www.facebook.com/100006198902059/posts/4315035415239881/?substory_index=5

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

My two cents.......

I believe MOST hunters do the right thing in regards to the proficiency with their equipment, shot, and recovery. On the other hand, I'm sure there are hunters who do not have any tracking skills, either not taught or need help. That group can use our help and guys on here are always helping others. The small percentage that doesn't care or brown is down is what ruins the sport for all of us.

21 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

All ages miss the mark even with a crossbow.  This young man may never had been able to recover his first buck without the help of his dad and their dog.Congratulations guy's:up:

https://www.facebook.com/100006198902059/posts/4315035415239881/?substory_index=5

Everyone is happy the dogs are recovering lost deer . 
but it absolutely seems there are way too many dog finding someone’s deer stories . 
Some are just bad shots . 
but many are bad shot choices and guys pushing the envelope . 

a deer left go instead of pushing a shot gets to be hunted another day . 

a bad choiced shot doesn’t and there is no guarantee that the dog will find the deer . 
it’s not a 100% guarantee as Darren has already stated . 

better shot choices will allow quicker deer recovery 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

100% AGREE.But I don't think anybody has an intention of taking a poor shot. There's a lot of new hunters older ones as well that don't have any or many deer under their belt and and have a difficult time controling their Buck fever.

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt