Bear Spray

FeniQuest217

20 minutes ago, Turkeyslayer said:

Well you do have your bow on you just saying 

you would be in a for a world of hell if you shot a bear with your bow( self defense or not) in this god awful state. no body would care how many times you said it was in self defense. its you and the bear in the woods alone. they would side with the bear in this state. spray on the other hand and you both go home. but god forbid someone trys to protect themselves in this state from 4 legged animals or two legged animals. 

Can't have more than 3/4 oz in your possession... in other words, don't bother trying to deter a bear with it. Anything larger than that, and you can be convicted as a disorderly person and fined a minimum $100. I do not know what that does wrt losing (or not) your right to bear arms - can they revoke your FID and take away your guns if convicted of disorderly person statutes?? I dunno.

This law is NJ Statute 2C:39-6(i) - https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-6/

i.Nothing in N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent any person who is 18 years of age or older and who has not been convicted of a felony, from possession for the purpose of personal self-defense of one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of chemical substance not ordinarily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather, is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. Any person in possession of any device in violation of this subsection shall be deemed and adjudged to be a disorderly person, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100.00.

In 2017, Assemblyman Anthony Bucco attempted to change this law to allow us to have real bear spray, but of course, that went nowhere. Which is ridiculous - our state has one of the most robust black bear populations in the nation and yet our government won't allow us to carry bear spray - they didn't even bother to move the bill along and debate/vote on it. Never left committee. Here's the bill that went nowhere: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S3500/3047_I1.HTM . It says, "Nothing in subsection i. of this section shall be construed to prevent a person who is 18 years of age or older from possessing, for the sole purpose of repelling an aggressive bear while hiking, biking, or engaging in any other outdoor recreational activities, a bear deterrent or bear spray product approved and registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and clearly identified as such on the product label."

God-forbid our NJ state politicians would allow people to carry bear spray ... we can't have that! 

i bet the guy who was mauled to death in his own garage last year wish he had some spray handy. 

anyone recall seeing that on breaking news or news in general? i dont think so. 

Edited by Kype

12 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

Can't have more than 3/4 oz in your possession... in other words, don't bother trying to deter a bear with it. Anything larger than that, and you can be convicted as a disorderly person and fined a minimum $100. I do not know what that does wrt losing (or not) your right to bear arms - can they revoke your FID and take away your guns if convicted of disorderly person statutes?? I dunno.

This law is NJ Statute 2C:39-6(i) - https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2009/title-2c/2c-39/2c-39-6/

In 2017, Assemblyman Anthony Bucco attempted to change this law to allow us to have real bear spray, but of course, that went nowhere. Which is ridiculous - our state has one of the most robust black bear populations in the nation and yet our government won't allow us to carry bear spray - they didn't even bother to move the bill along and debate/vote on it. Never left committee. Here's the bill that went nowhere: https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2016/Bills/S3500/3047_I1.HTM . It says, "Nothing in subsection i. of this section shall be construed to prevent a person who is 18 years of age or older from possessing, for the sole purpose of repelling an aggressive bear while hiking, biking, or engaging in any other outdoor recreational activities, a bear deterrent or bear spray product approved and registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and clearly identified as such on the product label."

God-forbid our NJ state politicians would allow people to carry bear spray ... we can't have that! 

This is what i figured. Its such a joke. I bet most people dont know this law even exists - that if they bought a bigger cannister off amazon to travel to nyc for work/leisure - theyre in deep shit. 

I mean to the other comments are right - this is what hunting is - youre risking yourself out there. But it shouldnt mean you cant have a deterrent with you in the event one gets aggitated. God i didnt want this to get political lol but what a shocker - Newsome wins and Murph will do the same in November. Ugh its so brutal.

50 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

This is what i figured. Its such a joke. I bet most people dont know this law even exists - that if they bought a bigger cannister off amazon to travel to nyc for work/leisure - theyre in deep shit. 

I mean to the other comments are right - this is what hunting is - youre risking yourself out there. But it shouldnt mean you cant have a deterrent with you in the event one gets aggitated. God i didnt want this to get political lol but what a shocker - Newsome wins and Murph will do the same in November. Ugh its so brutal.

Better to be judged by 12 then eaten by a bear.....:banghead:

Edited by OldMenRule

The only hunters worried about carrying any defensive weapon are those that don’t have experience with black bears. I carry nothing but could open carry a firearm on the private land I hunt. No need. Once you’ve spend 40 years seeing them and interacting regularly,  you learn their behaviors and know how to handle situations when they do occur. 

21 hours ago, heavybergara said:

I'm on the fence on buying a bear spray myself, from what I've been told and seen on youtube videos, the black bears in NJ tend to be very docile as long as you understand their behavior. Don't instagram them or  corner them, stand your ground while field dressing,  and they will leave you alone for the most part.

do you fellas agree? I've walked within 30 yards of black bears while hiking but never while hunting.

I largely agree but I’m extra cautious when I bump a sow with her Cubs. She goes into protection mode. 

Here's the thing - forget the hunters who have been doing this for 40+ years and know what to do when you run into an aggressive bear. Think about a young hunter who has not been doing this a long time and will act more like that Rutgers student compared to a seasoned bear-territory hunter. Or think about just a young hiker (e.g. those Rutgers students). It would be nice to not throw those people to the wolves, no semi-pun intended, without giving them the ability to protect themselves (in a non-lethal way, too! It's not like we are asking to be able to kill the bears - just deter them if they get aggressive).

I don't want the government telling us we can't do something like carrying bear spray for protection! There is no reason a law-abiding citizen and hunter/hiker/birder can't take something in the woods with them to protect themselves. Big Government is telling us "no, you can't protect yourself" and that is absurd, especially when this same government is explicitly allowing the bear population to explode and is causing more bear-human contact to happen.

I would definitely carry a fire arm. probably a 30-06. If bear charges me it needs to go down fast. 

Also, Ive been scouting black river WMA since last week. Ive seen some buck scrapes & tracks. If you would like to hunt together that would be ideal since its my first year.

I hunt in an area that has a lot of bears, just this past weekend saw a mom with 3 Cubs. I wish we could carry a side arm, sure they are calm and usually run away but I don’t want to be the guy that figures out that they are aggressive to people. Rather have it and never need it than need and not have.

if I come across bear spray for sale in a store, I will pick it up.

Right now my only defense would be the bow, which would be nearly impossible to nock and fire in time. Then a knife- we know how that would end…