Bear Spray

FeniQuest217

I do half of my hunting in Sussex and I plan on going back to black river again and thinking of trying out a few other areas as well. I'm expecting to see more bear this year while i hunt, so was going to grab a can of bear spray but before i do, is there a combination you can make from household stuff that will deter them?

26 minutes ago, Eyesofthewoods said:

Black river is infested.  I hunt there and live bordering it.  In some spots they planted corn which basically has the bears coming from all over to live there.  Lol. 

Yeah Ik - i was lucky I didnt see many last year but i expect ill see some this year

2 minutes ago, Rickinthepines said:

I think certain pepper sprays are concidered a destructive devise in N.J.. Carry discreetly.

Yes, I don’t think they can charge you with much if you follow my suggestion. Maybe feeding wildlife, probably not as serious as the destructive device charge. Lol

I'm on the fence on buying a bear spray myself, from what I've been told and seen on youtube videos, the black bears in NJ tend to be very docile as long as you understand their behavior. Don't instagram them or  corner them, stand your ground while field dressing,  and they will leave you alone for the most part.

do you fellas agree? I've walked within 30 yards of black bears while hiking but never while hunting.

1 minute ago, heavybergara said:

I'm on the fence on buying a bear spray myself, from what I've been told and seen on youtube videos, the black bears in NJ tend to be very docile as long as you understand their behavior. Don't instagram them or  corner them, stand your ground while field dressing,  and they will leave you alone for the most part.

do you fellas agree? I've walked within 30 yards of black bears while hiking but never while hunting.

I think you’re absolutely correct. Although there is a slight chance of an aggressive bear, It’s comforting to have some type of defense at your disposal.

24 minutes ago, heavybergara said:

No harm in carrying a little self defense. You can do all the right things and all it takes is one bear having a bad day to ruin yours. 

10 minutes ago, OldMenRule said:

No harm in carrying a little self defense. You can do all the right things and all it takes is one bear having a bad day to ruin yours. 

I hear you. I am also hunting deep in the woods, I am leaning towards getting one

3 hours ago, Rickinthepines said:

I think certain pepper sprays are concidered a destructive devise in N.J.. Carry discreetly.

Gosh ya know - it really wouldn't shock me.  But this does also make me curious like.  We already have the most bear per density in the country, yet we politically banned the bear hunt this year. So would it come to no surprise that bear spray is illegal in NJ?  I think not but is it?

5 minutes ago, FeniQuest217 said:

So would it come to no surprise that bear spray is illegal in NJ?  I think not but is it?

Not permitted to carry the normal size canister like you can in a free America, even though you can buy it in various sporting goods stores (Ramsey's used to sell it).  NJ relegates you to one of those very small key chain type canisters - just spray yourself with that before you get mauled.  Bears like a slight peppery taste to their humans...........