IGNORED

Honda Generator

Jmacd

I have a small Honda generator the size of one that you would use tailgating. Someone had given it to me and it has not run in quite a few years. My question is would any of you know where I can take it in the South Jersey area to get repaired? I am in Burlington County. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks John

the carburetor it's always the carburetor when fuel sits for a long time!If you're handy this video will help. If you faill just buy a new carburetor! They're under 20 bucks on eBay.

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Any Honda dealer or small engine place can do it. Probably 100 an hour in labor. It's really not that hard if you have any mechanical skills. If you were closer I would do it for you

Edited by Bucndoe

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If its sat for a bit, as others say look at the carb, but of course rule out simple by checking for spark.

90+% of my small engine repairs are bad fuel, and most customers who swear they put fresh fuel in straight from the gas can that sat since last year too.

You can attempt to do a carb cleaning and maybe you'll get lucky and the bowl isn't all rusted up from moisture and it fires up afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can say I have had it for at least 8yrs and it was not running when I got it. The reason the guy gave it to me was because it would run and then just shut off for no reason even with fresh fuel in it. I honestly don't know even if it has any output on the generator side 

10 hours ago, Jmacd said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I can say I have had it for at least 8yrs and it was not running when I got it. The reason the guy gave it to me was because it would run and then just shut off for no reason even with fresh fuel in it. I honestly don't know even if it has any output on the generator side 

Generators have a self-throttle or throttle linkage.  On my portable generator, the throttle arm was cracked.  It would run for a minute and then shut off.  You'll see the throttle arm, it's small, about an inch or so long, and it has a spring attached.  Put gas in the generator, start it up, and look for that arm.  It will be moving when you start it as it tried to find a sweet spot to idle at.  That mechanism could be where your problem is at.  It's easy to fix.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, Jmacd said:

I have a small Honda generator the size of one that you would use tailgating. 

Like a EU 2000i inverter?  

On 9/6/2021 at 3:48 PM, Jmacd said:

My question is would any of you know where I can take it in the South Jersey area to get repaired? 

Before you do anything, is there any gasoline in it?  If not, or if so, drain the gasoline, fill with fresh gas, and add some seafoam.  Try to start, it probably won't.  Wait a week and try again.

The carbs in the EU-2000i have incredibly small diameters through which gasoline passes; maybe the thickness of a pin.  They are probably gummed up, as mentioned before.  SeaFoam should take care of it.  Give it two weeks.

When you put them away, I: (1) remove the gasoline, (2) run them dry, (3) open cap, and (4) store them on their side for a week or two.  Then, I put them away right side up.

Again, they are very easy to gum up.  I wouldn't leave gas in them for more than a month or two.

9 minutes ago, username said:

Like a EU 2000i inverter?  

Before you do anything, is there any gasoline in it?  If not, or if so, drain the gasoline, fill with fresh gas, and add some seafoam.  Try to start, it probably won't.  Wait a week and try again.

The carbs in the EU-2000i have incredibly small diameters through which gasoline passes; maybe the thickness of a pin.  They are probably gummed up, as mentioned before.  SeaFoam should take care of it.  Give it two weeks.

When you put them away, I: (1) remove the gasoline, (2) run them dry, (3) open cap, and (4) store them on their side for a week or two.  Then, I put them away right side up.

Again, they are very easy to gum up.  I wouldn't leave gas in them for more than a month or two.

Don't even bother. Take the carb out, clean it, and put it back in. Good gas ain't going to make bad gas come back, Seafoam or not. It's varnish

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

If you've had fuel sitting in it for the last 8 years, specially corn gas, I would bet on that bowl being a rust bucket.

An engine that will run for a minute then stall out is either a fuel/carb issue or, run for 5-10 minutes can be the coil has a broke wire and when it heats up it separates and loses conductivity.

Just a thing to consider: I added a connection so I can run my honda off of LP.  I never have to worry about a gummed up carb and LP stores a heck of alot better.  Also, if you convert, you can still use gas.  If interested just google  it, you'll find a bunch of options....pretty easy install.