IGNORED

9/1/21 - Tuckahoe WMA Lottery Application Period Now Open

Does anyone know the answer to this? (I read the  PDF and it doesn't make it clear)...

There are 6 blinds - 6 people are awarded the lottery per day per blind. I assume that means blind #1 gets awarded to one lottery winner, blind #2 gets awarded to another single lottery winner... etc...

Question: Each winner can bring along 3 additional hunters with them, correct? Or ... do the standby hunters get first dibs to fill in the blinds? I really think it is the former and not the latter, but I need to make sure because I personally don't want to hunt with guys I never met until that morning, but that's just me :)

I was going to email DFW but I know some folks here are "in the know" about this, so posting here first.

3 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

I scanned through the application and I don't see anywhere that you can bring hunters with you who did not participate in the lottery. Maybe I missed it? 

Exactly! I don't see anything about this. All it says is 1 winner per blind. Common sense would tell you that means the winner can bring 3 people, but it doesn't say explicitly that.

Just now, mazzgolf said:

Exactly! I don't see anything about this. All it says is 1 winner per blind. Common sense would tell you that means the winner can bring 3 people, but it doesn't say explicitly that.

Honestly it would not make sense or be fair to allow one winner bring people who did not apply. 

1 minute ago, Lunatic said:

Honestly it would not make sense or be fair to allow one winner bring people who did not apply. 

If this means 4 total strangers who have never met before are going to hunt next to each other in a blind - I'm out :) Which is why I am asking.

I just sent an email to DFW, too. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer.

2 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

If this means 4 total strangers who have never met before are going to hunt next to each other in a blind - I'm out :) Which is why I am asking.

I just sent an email to DFW, too. Hopefully I'll get a definitive answer.

Ok, let see what they say. what I read is not very clear.

I think most people would have fun but I get your hesitation   

To me it seems each winner can bring three people. I am only assuming that based on there being only 6 lottery winners per day, and then each blind is allowed up to 4 hunters. So if only lottery hunters are able to hunt, in theory you can put all the hunters in two blinds, leaving four other blinds empty. I’ll be interested to see their response @mazzgolf  

Edited by Jcol6268

Never got word back from DFW  A misunderstanding on my part... I did get word through someone at DFW who is in the know --- the winner of the lottery brings up to 3 people to hunt with them.

But what I want to ask is - does anyone know if the blinds have actually been built yet??? Either (a) I have bad eyes, (b) they grassed them in super-good, (c) they are small or just a wooden platform that you can't see or (d) they haven't been built yet because I went over there on Sunday and I didn't see a single blind -- I drove the entire road around the impoundments and tried to look for any of the 6 blinds that are shown on the map. I couldn't see or find a single one. I was hoping to see the blinds so I could get a better feel for how you get to them from the parking areas. Just based on the map and where they are supposed to be, it seems almost all of them (save for maybe one) require you to at least wade if not boat/kayak to the blind locations.

UPDATE: I got my answer to the above. The blinds are not in yet but will be going in hopefully by youth day (assuming weather and water levels cooperate). To get to the blinds will require you to wade through some water (the length of water to cross will differ depending on the blind). Some will require a kayak or small boat of some kind to get there (if you've ever hunted Tuckahoe, you'll know the situation there - you can walk across most of it, but there are some deep pockets that you can't walk across).

Edited by mazzgolf