IGNORED

Division of FG&W 1 day Trappers Education class Sept. 19

BCsaw

1 hour ago, Sharpdogs said:

What is the age requirement for the trapping course?  I have been trying to register my 11 year old son for the 2 day course in Pequest but it is rejecting the application based on his age.

12 years old - trapping license is free up until and including the year of their 16th birthday. See page 8 of last years digest.

image.png.ed2e22dce1adc7806778f795cb12a896.png

and page 1 of digest:

image.png.203d10a308c9809e5f57cd947a4c826c.png

Edited by mazzgolf

8 hours ago, trapoholic said:

I am glad to see a continued interest in trapping. Most of us at the Trappers Conventions and Fur Sales have gray hair. We need more of the younger generation getting into this pasttime. I took my course the first year it was required (Mid 1970's?) out at the old Hackettstown fish hatchery. At that time the instructors were state trappers. It was a gentlemen by the name of Nelson and his son Neil.

That would of been Nelson and Neil Boss

Nelson use to come to my house and buy my fur.

2 hours ago, mazzgolf said:

12 years old - trapping license is free up until and including the year of their 16th birthday. See page 8 of last years digest.

image.png.ed2e22dce1adc7806778f795cb12a896.png

and page 1 of digest:

image.png.203d10a308c9809e5f57cd947a4c826c.png

You need to be 12 to get the license, but do you need to be 12 to take the course?

1 hour ago, trapoholic said:

You need to be 12 to get the license, but do you need to be 12 to take the course?

I would think so because immediately after getting your education card, you are allowed to buy a license - which is why they probably restrict the class to 12-year olds. I suppose they also might not want anyone younger attending the class since a 10 or 11 year old might not be ready for a class like this.

You could call DFW and ask if an accommodation can be made. One problem is they might not be able to enter his information in the computer when he completes the course (it might not allow someone younger than 12 to be entered into the computer as having completed the education course and allowed to buy a license). I'm just guessing. I would call and ask.

1 hour ago, trapoholic said:

Yes, no good. Has to wait. It happened in our household

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

2 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I would think so because immediately after getting your education card, you are allowed to buy a license - which is why they probably restrict the class to 12-year olds. I suppose they also might not want anyone younger attending the class since a 10 or 11 year old might not be ready for a class like this.

You could call DFW and ask if an accommodation can be made. One problem is they might not be able to enter his information in the computer when he completes the course (it might not allow someone younger than 12 to be entered into the computer as having completed the education course and allowed to buy a license). I'm just guessing. I would call and ask.

Correct, it will reject because of the DOB. It can't be over ridden because it is the law/regulation with the age requirements 

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

This course is a cooperate venture between the Turkey federation and the division. This one only. We will see if there will be more.  One day field courses have always been done for years (30 years at least) on the last course held in OCT. in the central region.  Same as this coming OCT central course. There will be a Thursday night 2 hour section to cover the law and go to a very long Sunday field session and test.  All other courses (  one spring and 3 fall) are 2 days. The students do get a lot more trapping instruction with the two day courses.  But the goal with the course is not to teach you how to trap it is to give you the information and law to get your trapping lic. and give you a start to learn how to trap. learning to trap takes years. I have been trapping for over 50 years and have been an trapping instructor since 1987 and I am still learning. This course on the 19th is a course  to  gain trappers, with the understanding that we as trappers are the real wildlife management tool to save ground nesting birds, live stock, and pray species.   Now that the bear hunt has been banned, the anti groups are now going to  focus on trapping.  matter fact it already has started.   There is a 2 day course in the North I believe the same  week end.  The second weekend of OCT there is a 2 day course in the south. and the 4th Thursday and Sunday in OCT and I believe the last week end another 2 day course back up in the north. 5 weeks in OCT this year. The home study work was started because of covid and is now a part of all the trapping courses.

Edited by redneck

ACP WILDLIFE CONTROL SERVICES AND ACP REDNECKS PRIDE

referral-0076111001448070575.jpg

On age if the kid is going to turn 12 with in that year trapping season this case 21/22 season, then they can take the course now but can not get lic until they are 12.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Sharpdogs said:

His birthday is 13th of November, so he about 2 months short of the age requirement for the September course.

That's a Bummer because your son will be of legal trapping age even before the season opens two days later.

On 8/19/2021 at 6:44 PM, Sharpdogs said:

His birthday is 13th of November, so he about 2 months short of the age requirement for the September course.

Call the hunter Ed office  and see if he can get in the course if they are not filled yet 856 629 0552

Nope not to show you how to use them, just what  our regulations and laws are . For example we can only set snares for beaver under water killer set,  and muskrats mink snares have their own set of regs..  Any cable set on land over a certain loop size and height and size of cable on land has to be a cable restraint with loop, height,  cable sizes, deer stops, and  swivels. Of course if you have in your possession a certification card stating that you have completed a snaring course approved by the State  of NJ, say like pa. then your good to go. or you can call the NJ state Fish and wildlife hunter ed office and get them to tell you if you need the course or not. 609 629 0552