IGNORED

Marathon Fluking fills 2 of 3 limits - tons of shorts and a big seabasss

JHbowhunter

Well we only fell one fish short of 3 man limit.....

Met @Buck154 at the SR launch 5:45 am.   I got out of bed 3:30.  Brought my neighbor and cousin-in-law Todd with us - my shad fishing partner.   We were underway shortly after 6am barely getting off the trailer in extreme low tide. ...   Heading N!  We took the shortcut, the Last Lady had to take the long way.    However - they got an 8.5# fluke today, and we did not unfortunately.   Have no idea where he went because we never saw him in the usual haunts. 

A932828D-F5D2-421F-97E2-A5C5421EFEB5.jpeg

8578D456-6DDC-4C05-87FB-F3DA95F58D42.jpeg

5F9D7C02-96D2-4116-8401-7A8A355D2AE6.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

The mission was simple, get a boat limit of fluke asap, then fart around for other stuff or doormat hunt. Long story short we never had the slightest air movement or breeze until 2pm.    We got our cardio  in jthough,  swatting black flies biting our legs and ankles - that was fun.   What a great day for a swim! 

Oh wait - but someone on the boat took it a little too seriously. After a stop in some of the better spots and just a few shorts I wanted to run up to a spot I call "Puke Rock" because Todd got a 24" fluke there last year and then puked his guts out as he was unhooking it.  Perhaps the best waypoint in my GPS for action and usually can get keepers there. 

Fish were hungry but we were not moving much.  The usual morning swells were rolling through and annoying as hell.  All I recall is looking to starboard and seeing Todd in the water and John is moving quickly.   WTF????    Apparently he hooked a fluke, rod slipped out of hand, and he lunged to grab it as a swell nudged him over!    John and I were trying to "get serious" but WTF?  So John did the right thing and at least got a pic of me hauling his 240# out of the drink!   I am still laughing just wtf wtf wtf?  Oh and he did get the rod and John reeled in the short fluke  while I hauled his ass in  

4F16F2BF-BA31-40CE-9FF6-90910EE1B714.jpeg

1A6B1508-1DA0-4193-806F-2DC4B2A334E4.jpeg

E93FF8F2-FC31-4252-B3A4-15D3D1D62E64.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

Shortly after, I got the first keeper of the day but we were weeding through a lot of 16 to 17.5" fish to get to the first 20.5" fish. But - in spite of the action, poor Todds bad morning continues... I CANNOT make this up.   The GPS is noting that we are within feet of PUKE ROCK, and Todd announces "I feel sick" and then pukes his guts out....    

1243177F-8216-4724-88C4-8E32DA522232.jpeg

4183AC3D-556D-4322-A11C-E13C14F31037.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

Sorry to disappoint the readers, but we are nearly out of drama and just getting into loads of fish with about a 25 to 1 keeper to short ratio.   The only other drama was a skate I was unhooking litterally lunged at my left indext finger and inhaled it. The finger was no where near the mouth but I swear it saw it and wanted it.    Mind you- they crush mollusks with that mouth and I may have yelled a bit loud but with pliers already in my hand, i begged John to jam them into skate's mouth and "reverse" open them up.   It worked but damn that hurt and sorry no pictures. Only time I seen a worse skate bite is one an even bigger skate inhaled @hammer4reel's  thumb  several years ago

I shot a big 10pt once….

So what little current we had fell off.   Now we are literally sitting still and fly bait.   John kept mentioning a fun little wreck to go get our seabass limit on and did not take much convincing for me to get some air under our wings and cool off.  9 mile run SE, we got one big 19" and definitely a limit but wanted to keep 13" and overs so only boxed 4 before that died off. 

2A26C670-672D-41A7-8E97-A3480D9D3427.jpeg

F74A5C13-3315-4926-B6CE-8DFAB0A129DE.jpeg

Edited by JHbowhunter

I shot a big 10pt once….

So we run back inshore at a popular spot, and I get the second keeper fluke another around 20" mark.    Now I got the biggest seabass and the  only two keepers in the box.   I start getting chirpy with my crew explaining that they are slackers and tired of carrying their sorry asses all day.   John gets possessed like Linda Blair in Exorcist and then puts on a clinic.   2pm the light wind finally kicked in just enough to give us a 1mp drift (avg) and no more flies which coincided with this amazing event.  He put 3 keepers in the box in the next 90 minutes up to 22".      Just like that.   BAM.       We all catching ok - just shorts.  How the hell does that even happen?  Getting late, now about 4:30 and I add a 19" to the box and then Todd finally got a 20".(on my rod that was in a rod holder ).  We gotta go it's nearly 5pm so we head in the last 6 miles...         Get back to the launch 5:30.   Nearly a 12 hour trip.   I know guys (like @Zipper and @MGHunter66) that would have wilted under such a trip, whining when I took them on a equally has hot and sweltering trip last season that only lasted 8 hours.    But we fish - because we are men.  No other reason.   We fish. 

902BA52E-85D2-4FD6-BCA2-6F1813381521.jpeg

FB17F138-9F32-4BFB-A46D-EFF3731F509F.jpeg

479481CF-1ACC-4AF1-A6A5-EAEA80ED7F1E.jpeg

BA6C6E09-8158-4DEA-9F1A-875A66B424A3.jpeg

27F9B0BE-733D-4CAC-B81F-B2A6A79A4CE3.jpeg

Edited by rgw

I shot a big 10pt once….

Thanks Jack. We definitely had some laughs today.  Glad Todd can take ball busting cause we definitely were busting him. He did good and caught a ton of shorts and glad to see him get one keeper at the end. 

Long day and slow fishing but still good time. The sun was brutal today without any wind. And that seabass was a big Beautiful knuckle head. Awesome seabass at 19"

20210813_180732.jpg

Edited by Buck154

1 minute ago, Zipper said:

Another Bataan Death March Fluke trip. This time with biting flies to enhance the torture. You know Jack, that's against the Geneva Convention. 

Please dear Jesus or sweet baby jesus- do not ever fall out of my boat... I had all I could do to get poor todd over the gunwale.   I did explain there was a swim ladder in the stern but John already has his phone out for pictures so just dealt with it mid-ship

I shot a big 10pt once….