IGNORED

Tough day on the Miss Montauk

bucky

I headed out on the Miss Montauk under promising conditions but by the time we made it to the fishing grounds in 100 ft of water the wind was blowing against the tide. Started out with 10 ounces and  got dialed in catching my limit early up to 7 lbs.  We had some quality fluke coming over the rail with fish in the 6 to 8 lb range then the captain decided to make a move into shallower water due to the wind and guys showing up with their trout rods filled with heavy mono using light bucktails. The rest of the day was a very slow pick, I ended up using 14 ounces catching 7 fluke,2 whiting,2 ling and 7 sea bastards , in my opinion anything over 10 ounces takes the fun out fluke fishing. Always a beautiful sunset from our balcony

mk213.thumb.jpeg.affe7ea1492a7e63f5a5491008c94646.jpegmk215.jpeg.d647ab1fb2349c15ab2cc34b6e819f73.jpeg

43 minutes ago, rgw said:

I normally don’t bring anything over 8 oz or 10 oz. 

Same here, scope was still to long using 10 ounce jigs, I went to 14 oz boat lead to avoid tangles with the guys that had no clue where the bottom was. Here is some great advice, if you want to deeeeep water jig fluke leave your trout rods and mono at home, instead spool up with 20 lb braid, bring a stout rod and reel to match that will handle up to 12 ounces, otherwise you will not have an enjoyable day and most likely go home fishless:up: Walmart combos like this WILL NOT cut it, watched this guy struggle all day

mk21rod.thumb.jpeg.f4143eabeb795def8a8c42ca9002b408.jpeg

Edited by bucky

So many get fueled up on info from FB groups and Skinner videos and have no clue that you need to change it up based on the present conditions.  You still got more quality fish than what NJ is producing just not the numbers. 

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

So many get fueled up on info from FB groups and Skinner videos and have no clue that you need to change it up based on the present conditions.  You still got more quality fish than what NJ is producing just not the numbers. 

I bring one rod for 6 ounces and under and a heavy rod for anything heavier than 6, both spooled with 20 lb braid:up:

13 minutes ago, bucky said:

I bring one rod for 6 ounces and under and a heavy rod for anything heavier than 6, both spooled with 20 lb braid:up:

Similar but I use 15# for baitcasting rods jigging 4 to 12 ounce and 10# spin and baitcasting rods for 1/2 to 3 ounce 

Edited by JHbowhunter

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

1 hour ago, bucky said:

Same here, scope was still to long using 10 ounce jigs, I went to 14 oz boat lead to avoid tangles with the guys that had no clue where the bottom was. Here is some great advice, if you want to deeeeep water jig fluke leave your trout rods and mono at home, instead spool up with 20 lb braid, bring a stout rod and reel to match that will handle up to 12 ounces, otherwise you will not have an enjoyable day and most likely go home fishless:up: Walmart combos like this WILL NOT cut it, watched this guy struggle all day

mk21rod.thumb.jpeg.f4143eabeb795def8a8c42ca9002b408.jpeg

All my set ups look like that lol .

‘But all my reels have 30 pounds of drag , and the rods  handle 12 Oz with ease .

betting most guys actually think they bought the right stuff , having no clue .

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

Just now, hammer4reel said:

All my set ups look like that lol .

‘But all my reels have 30 pounds of drag , and the rods  handle 12 Oz with ease .

betting most guys actually think they bought the right stuff , having no clue .

Agreed:up: Keywords, LOOKS LIKE THAT, but not even close...lol

1 hour ago, JHbowhunter said:

Don't make fun of his followers. SKINNER is a God. Lol 

"All men die, not all men really live". WW